Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
By CairoCooking • September 8, 2016
Nothing in your child’s lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef Hawawshi Recipe. Crispy from the outside with a delicious filling, this oriental-style sandwich will impress your child.
The falahy balady bread is the perfect size for a Hawawshi that can last a couple of days. The bread also turned really nice and crispy from the oven.
- 1 baladi bread (cut in half) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 1/4 minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onions - بصل
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce - صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful baby spinach (shredded) - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon ghee (melted OR butter) - سمن بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a round or rectangular oven tray with parchement.
- In a medium bowl, mix minced meat with minced onions, shredded spinach, tomato puree, all spice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice baladi bread in half and open it to stuff it with the minced meat mix. Make sure to distribute the mix evenly between the two baladi bread layers.
- Place the two stuffed bread halves on the oven tray. Brush all bread sides with the melted ghee.
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, turning the Hawawshi halfway through. Let it cool before you slice it to fit your lunchbox.
Tropical Fruit Salad
The tropical fruit salad is not just refreshing on a hot summer day, but it also elevates a simple...
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
The Best Tres Leches Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Tres Leches cake is...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.