Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
By CairoCooking • September 8, 2016
Nothing in your child’s lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef Hawawshi Recipe. Crispy from the outside with a delicious filling, this oriental-style sandwich will impress your child.
The falahy balady bread is the perfect size for a Hawawshi that can last a couple of days. The bread also turned really nice and crispy from the oven.
- 1 baladi bread (cut in half) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 1/4 minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onions - بصل
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce - صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful baby spinach (shredded) - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon ghee (melted OR butter) - سمن بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a round or rectangular oven tray with parchement.
- In a medium bowl, mix minced meat with minced onions, shredded spinach, tomato puree, all spice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice baladi bread in half and open it to stuff it with the minced meat mix. Make sure to distribute the mix evenly between the two baladi bread layers.
- Place the two stuffed bread halves on the oven tray. Brush all bread sides with the melted ghee.
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, turning the Hawawshi halfway through. Let it cool before you slice it to fit your lunchbox.
No-Junk Kids’ Burger
If burger is a kids-favourite dish, why don’t we make it as healthy as we can? This burger bursts...
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside...
Garlic & Herb Roasted Potatoes
The Garlic & Herb Roasted Potato dish makes a very delicious side to almost any of your...
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]