Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
By CairoCooking • September 8, 2016
Nothing in your child’s lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef Hawawshi Recipe. Crispy from the outside with a delicious filling, this oriental-style sandwich will impress your child.
The falahy balady bread is the perfect size for a Hawawshi that can last a couple of days. The bread also turned really nice and crispy from the oven.
- 1 baladi bread (cut in half) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 1/4 minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onions - بصل
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce - صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful baby spinach (shredded) - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon ghee (melted OR butter) - سمن بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a round or rectangular oven tray with parchement.
- In a medium bowl, mix minced meat with minced onions, shredded spinach, tomato puree, all spice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice baladi bread in half and open it to stuff it with the minced meat mix. Make sure to distribute the mix evenly between the two baladi bread layers.
- Place the two stuffed bread halves on the oven tray. Brush all bread sides with the melted ghee.
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, turning the Hawawshi halfway through. Let it cool before you slice it to fit your lunchbox.
Orange & Cardamom Rice Pudding
الوصفة بالعربي Add a fragrant twist to this all time...
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
The house will smell divine while these filling, super healthy and extremely delicious Sweet...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]