Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
By CairoCooking • September 8, 2016
Nothing in your child’s lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef Hawawshi Recipe. Crispy from the outside with a delicious filling, this oriental-style sandwich will impress your child.
The large NM Falahi Balady Bread is the perfect size for a Hawawshi that can last a couple of days. The bread also turned really nice and crispy from the oven.
- 1 baladi bread (cut in half) - OR NM Baladi Bread - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 1/4 minced meat or NM Minced Beef- Fat Free (Chemical Free- Frozen) - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onions - بصل
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce OR NM frozen Tomato Puree (chemical free) - صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful baby spinach (shredded) - OR NM Baby Spinach (Chemical Free) - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon ghee (melted OR butter) - سمن بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a round or rectangular oven tray with parchement.
- In a medium bowl, mix minced meat with minced onions, shredded spinach, tomato puree, all spice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice baladi bread in half and open it to stuff it with the minced meat mix. Make sure to distribute the mix evenly between the two baladi bread layers.
- Place the two stuffed bread halves on the oven tray. Brush all bread sides with the melted ghee.
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, turning the Hawawshi halfway through. Let it cool before you slice it to fit your lunchbox.
Red Thai Chicken Curry
الوصفه بالعربي This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and...
Guacamole: Chunky Avocado Spread & Dip
الوصفة بالعربي This avocado dip is chunky and full of flavour! It can stay up to 2...
Creamy Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.