Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
By Mido Barsoum • December 1, 2015
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to find out how you can take part.
Since Japanese cuisine is my favorite, I thought of bringing you something from Japan. This was a recipe that I saw on a cooking show. Onigirazu, is something like a Japanese version of a Club Sandwich. It originally uses minced chicken and some Japanese pickle, which I have replaced with beef and spinach here.
Freshly steamed rice is a staple ingredient in most Japanese recipes, so you should have some handy for this recipe.
A basic recipe for steamed rice can be found here: http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/basic-steamed-white-rice-27496
Onigirazu looks like sushi, but it uses plain steamed rice instead.
- 2 seaweed sheets
- 1 cup rice (boiled) - أرز
- 150 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 50 gram baby spinach - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 eggs - بيض
- salt - ملح
Step by step
- Cook the rice, if you haven't done that already.
- Combine the minced beef, sugar, soy sauce and grated ginger in a small pot and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Put the pot on medium-low heat and cook while stirring constantly to keep the beef from drying out. Once the liquid has almost evaporated completely, turn off the heat and transfer the beef mixture to a small dish.
- Crack both eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly. Then, in a small pan over medium-low heat, keep stirring the eggs slowly until they cook and reach a fluffy, scrambled-egg consistency. Transfer to another small dish.
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a small pot. Add the baby spinach leaves to blanch for just 1-2 minutes. Take out the spinach and add it to a bowl of icy cold water, to stop it from cooking further. Then drain it well and squeeze out the excess moisture with kitchen paper. Drizzle a few drops of soy sauce on the spinach, to bring out the flavor.
- Now you are ready to assemble the Soboro Onigirazu: Place a sheet of Nori seaweed on a flat surface, rotated at a 45 degree angle (i.e. as if you would be looking at a diamond shape instead of a square). Sprinkle a very light layer of fine salt on the seaweed sheet. Put a small amount of rice in the center. Make sure you leave about 1.5 inches of plain seaweed around the rice. Arrange the minced beef, spinach and scrambles egg in a strip pattern on the rice bed. Add more rice on top of the fillings to cover. Now fold the four corners of the Nori seaweed over the rice, to close the parcel. Flip the closed parcel over onto a sheet of cling film and wrap it tightly to seal. Wait for 2 minutes, to give the rice a chance to fully dampen the seaweed and attach firmly.
- Cut the Nori parcel in half with a sharp and damp knife. Garnish with your favorite greens/condiments and serve.
Annabell’s Famous Banana & Avocado Mix
From 7 months. This mixture made the infamous Annabella Karmel famous among all mothers. It is an...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
Duck & Rice Beraam
الوصفة بالعربي Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection). In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.