Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
By Mido Barsoum • December 1, 2015
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to find out how you can take part.
Since Japanese cuisine is my favorite, I thought of bringing you something from Japan. This was a recipe that I saw on a cooking show. Onigirazu, is something like a Japanese version of a Club Sandwich. It originally uses minced chicken and some Japanese pickle, which I have replaced with beef and spinach here.
Freshly steamed rice is a staple ingredient in most Japanese recipes, so you should have some handy for this recipe.
A basic recipe for steamed rice can be found here: http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/basic-steamed-white-rice-27496
Onigirazu looks like sushi, but it uses plain steamed rice instead.
- 2 seaweed sheets
- 1 cup rice (boiled) - أرز
- 150 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 50 gram baby spinach - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 eggs - بيض
- salt - ملح
Step by step
- Cook the rice, if you haven't done that already.
- Combine the minced beef, sugar, soy sauce and grated ginger in a small pot and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Put the pot on medium-low heat and cook while stirring constantly to keep the beef from drying out. Once the liquid has almost evaporated completely, turn off the heat and transfer the beef mixture to a small dish.
- Crack both eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly. Then, in a small pan over medium-low heat, keep stirring the eggs slowly until they cook and reach a fluffy, scrambled-egg consistency. Transfer to another small dish.
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a small pot. Add the baby spinach leaves to blanch for just 1-2 minutes. Take out the spinach and add it to a bowl of icy cold water, to stop it from cooking further. Then drain it well and squeeze out the excess moisture with kitchen paper. Drizzle a few drops of soy sauce on the spinach, to bring out the flavor.
- Now you are ready to assemble the Soboro Onigirazu: Place a sheet of Nori seaweed on a flat surface, rotated at a 45 degree angle (i.e. as if you would be looking at a diamond shape instead of a square). Sprinkle a very light layer of fine salt on the seaweed sheet. Put a small amount of rice in the center. Make sure you leave about 1.5 inches of plain seaweed around the rice. Arrange the minced beef, spinach and scrambles egg in a strip pattern on the rice bed. Add more rice on top of the fillings to cover. Now fold the four corners of the Nori seaweed over the rice, to close the parcel. Flip the closed parcel over onto a sheet of cling film and wrap it tightly to seal. Wait for 2 minutes, to give the rice a chance to fully dampen the seaweed and attach firmly.
- Cut the Nori parcel in half with a sharp and damp knife. Garnish with your favorite greens/condiments and serve.
Caramelized Almonds Covered with Dark Chocolate
Three ingredients and you have your own customized chocolate bites... you can prepare them for your...
Beram Freekeh & Meat Cubes
الوصفه بالعربي This dish is traditionally done with so-called rice pasta (Lessan...
Baked Chicken Meatballs with Quinoa & Oats
الوصفه بالعربي From 12 months. These baked chicken quinoa meatballs are low in fat...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this chicken dish is creamy and filling served next to rice. You can also shred the finished chicken and serve it along with its creamy sauce over cooked pasta. Your family and friends will definitely enjoy this […]