Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
By Mido Barsoum • December 1, 2015
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to find out how you can take part.
Since Japanese cuisine is my favorite, I thought of bringing you something from Japan. This was a recipe that I saw on a cooking show. Onigirazu, is something like a Japanese version of a Club Sandwich. It originally uses minced chicken and some Japanese pickle, which I have replaced with beef and spinach here.
Freshly steamed rice is a staple ingredient in most Japanese recipes, so you should have some handy for this recipe.
A basic recipe for steamed rice can be found here: http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/basic-steamed-white-rice-27496
Onigirazu looks like sushi, but it uses plain steamed rice instead.
- 2 seaweed sheets
- 1 cup rice (boiled) - أرز
- 150 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 50 gram baby spinach - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 eggs - بيض
- salt - ملح
Step by step
- Cook the rice, if you haven't done that already.
- Combine the minced beef, sugar, soy sauce and grated ginger in a small pot and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Put the pot on medium-low heat and cook while stirring constantly to keep the beef from drying out. Once the liquid has almost evaporated completely, turn off the heat and transfer the beef mixture to a small dish.
- Crack both eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly. Then, in a small pan over medium-low heat, keep stirring the eggs slowly until they cook and reach a fluffy, scrambled-egg consistency. Transfer to another small dish.
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a small pot. Add the baby spinach leaves to blanch for just 1-2 minutes. Take out the spinach and add it to a bowl of icy cold water, to stop it from cooking further. Then drain it well and squeeze out the excess moisture with kitchen paper. Drizzle a few drops of soy sauce on the spinach, to bring out the flavor.
- Now you are ready to assemble the Soboro Onigirazu: Place a sheet of Nori seaweed on a flat surface, rotated at a 45 degree angle (i.e. as if you would be looking at a diamond shape instead of a square). Sprinkle a very light layer of fine salt on the seaweed sheet. Put a small amount of rice in the center. Make sure you leave about 1.5 inches of plain seaweed around the rice. Arrange the minced beef, spinach and scrambles egg in a strip pattern on the rice bed. Add more rice on top of the fillings to cover. Now fold the four corners of the Nori seaweed over the rice, to close the parcel. Flip the closed parcel over onto a sheet of cling film and wrap it tightly to seal. Wait for 2 minutes, to give the rice a chance to fully dampen the seaweed and attach firmly.
- Cut the Nori parcel in half with a sharp and damp knife. Garnish with your favorite greens/condiments and serve.
The Rice-Meatball Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي Turn CairoCooking's Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting...
Salmon Teriyaki made at home and at a fraction of the restaurant price! It’s time to impress! ...
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]