Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
By Mido Barsoum • December 1, 2015
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to find out how you can take part.
Since Japanese cuisine is my favorite, I thought of bringing you something from Japan. This was a recipe that I saw on a cooking show. Onigirazu, is something like a Japanese version of a Club Sandwich. It originally uses minced chicken and some Japanese pickle, which I have replaced with beef and spinach here.
Freshly steamed rice is a staple ingredient in most Japanese recipes, so you should have some handy for this recipe.
A basic recipe for steamed rice can be found here: http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/basic-steamed-white-rice-27496
Onigirazu looks like sushi, but it uses plain steamed rice instead.
- 2 seaweed sheets
- 1 cup rice (boiled) - أرز
- 150 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 50 gram baby spinach - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 eggs - بيض
- salt - ملح
Step by step
- Cook the rice, if you haven't done that already.
- Combine the minced beef, sugar, soy sauce and grated ginger in a small pot and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Put the pot on medium-low heat and cook while stirring constantly to keep the beef from drying out. Once the liquid has almost evaporated completely, turn off the heat and transfer the beef mixture to a small dish.
- Crack both eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly. Then, in a small pan over medium-low heat, keep stirring the eggs slowly until they cook and reach a fluffy, scrambled-egg consistency. Transfer to another small dish.
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a small pot. Add the baby spinach leaves to blanch for just 1-2 minutes. Take out the spinach and add it to a bowl of icy cold water, to stop it from cooking further. Then drain it well and squeeze out the excess moisture with kitchen paper. Drizzle a few drops of soy sauce on the spinach, to bring out the flavor.
- Now you are ready to assemble the Soboro Onigirazu: Place a sheet of Nori seaweed on a flat surface, rotated at a 45 degree angle (i.e. as if you would be looking at a diamond shape instead of a square). Sprinkle a very light layer of fine salt on the seaweed sheet. Put a small amount of rice in the center. Make sure you leave about 1.5 inches of plain seaweed around the rice. Arrange the minced beef, spinach and scrambles egg in a strip pattern on the rice bed. Add more rice on top of the fillings to cover. Now fold the four corners of the Nori seaweed over the rice, to close the parcel. Flip the closed parcel over onto a sheet of cling film and wrap it tightly to seal. Wait for 2 minutes, to give the rice a chance to fully dampen the seaweed and attach firmly.
- Cut the Nori parcel in half with a sharp and damp knife. Garnish with your favorite greens/condiments and serve.
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Roasted Shrimp Stuffed Avocados
When shrimp and avocados come together, the results are usually luscious, impressive and mostly...
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Not just an incredible dip and appetiser, this hummus is great for kids not just with a sweetness...
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for the whole family or as a large main dish on its own. Enjoy its Asian flavors and the combination of crunchy veggies and moist yummy chicken.
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I like to serve it with white rice, steamed veggies and French fries (yes, not the lightest meal but the sauce tastes divine with the crispy fries). This meal is quick and fun – everyone enjoys.