Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
By Mido Barsoum • December 1, 2015
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to find out how you can take part.
Since Japanese cuisine is my favorite, I thought of bringing you something from Japan. This was a recipe that I saw on a cooking show. Onigirazu, is something like a Japanese version of a Club Sandwich. It originally uses minced chicken and some Japanese pickle, which I have replaced with beef and spinach here.
Freshly steamed rice is a staple ingredient in most Japanese recipes, so you should have some handy for this recipe.
A basic recipe for steamed rice can be found here: http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/basic-steamed-white-rice-27496
Onigirazu looks like sushi, but it uses plain steamed rice instead.
- 2 seaweed sheets
- 1 cup rice (boiled) - أرز
- 150 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 50 gram baby spinach - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 eggs - بيض
- salt - ملح
Step by step
- Cook the rice, if you haven't done that already.
- Combine the minced beef, sugar, soy sauce and grated ginger in a small pot and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Put the pot on medium-low heat and cook while stirring constantly to keep the beef from drying out. Once the liquid has almost evaporated completely, turn off the heat and transfer the beef mixture to a small dish.
- Crack both eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly. Then, in a small pan over medium-low heat, keep stirring the eggs slowly until they cook and reach a fluffy, scrambled-egg consistency. Transfer to another small dish.
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a small pot. Add the baby spinach leaves to blanch for just 1-2 minutes. Take out the spinach and add it to a bowl of icy cold water, to stop it from cooking further. Then drain it well and squeeze out the excess moisture with kitchen paper. Drizzle a few drops of soy sauce on the spinach, to bring out the flavor.
- Now you are ready to assemble the Soboro Onigirazu: Place a sheet of Nori seaweed on a flat surface, rotated at a 45 degree angle (i.e. as if you would be looking at a diamond shape instead of a square). Sprinkle a very light layer of fine salt on the seaweed sheet. Put a small amount of rice in the center. Make sure you leave about 1.5 inches of plain seaweed around the rice. Arrange the minced beef, spinach and scrambles egg in a strip pattern on the rice bed. Add more rice on top of the fillings to cover. Now fold the four corners of the Nori seaweed over the rice, to close the parcel. Flip the closed parcel over onto a sheet of cling film and wrap it tightly to seal. Wait for 2 minutes, to give the rice a chance to fully dampen the seaweed and attach firmly.
- Cut the Nori parcel in half with a sharp and damp knife. Garnish with your favorite greens/condiments and serve.
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of...
Chewy Toffee & Nut On Biscuits
It is chewy from the toffee, crunchy from the bottom biscuit while the whole almonds give it a...
Turmeric Basmati Rice
Yellow turmeric rice is the perfect companion to all curry dishes! I also like to serve it with...
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]