By shahdan • May 29, 2016
I find this recipe a lot simpler than several other Sharkaseya sauce recipes and the result is still rich and full of flavor! If you have boiled chicken (and its stock), plus cooked rice, the rest is much easier and quicker than you think.
This recipe is perfect for big gatherings. For everyday, cut quantities in half.
For best results, use homemade chicken stock.
- 2 medium chicken (cooked) - دجاج
- 1 kg rice (cooked) - أرز
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock (1 liter) - مرقة دجاج
- 250 gram walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 4 slice toast - توست
- 2 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 medium onion (grated) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- In a small blender, finely-grind walnuts if you like your sauce smooth, or leave it with little chunks if you like a thicker texture. Set aside.
- Remove the white toast edges and grind the toast into crumbs. Mix with walnuts and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil and butter and sauté the onion until soft and yellowish but not brown. Add minced garlic and lower heat. Then add breadcrumbs and walnut. Stir for a couple of minutes then add chicken stock/broth.
- Add tomato paste, whisk and leave to simmer on low heat until you achieve the required thickness. You may gradually add more stock if needed. Adjust salt and pepper.
- To serve, put cooked rice in a serving dish. Arrange deboned boiled chicken pieces on top and carefully spoon some of the sauce over the chicken. Serve the rest of the sauce in a separate bowl or sauce boat.
Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Pure happiness in a bowl... There is something really special about...
Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
This chicken liver recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a...
Baked Greek Shrimps with Feta
This recipe is the winner of #MyBestDish cooking competition. Traditional Greek recipe, and...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]