By shahdan • May 29, 2016
I find this recipe a lot simpler than several other Sharkaseya sauce recipes and the result is still rich and full of flavor! If you have boiled chicken (and its stock), plus cooked rice, the rest is much easier and quicker than you think.
This recipe is perfect for big gatherings. For everyday, cut quantities in half.
For best results, use homemade chicken stock.
- 2 medium chicken (cooked) - دجاج
- 1 kg rice (cooked) - أرز
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock (1 liter) - مرقة دجاج
- 250 gram walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 4 slice toast - توست
- 2 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 medium onion (grated) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- In a small blender, finely-grind walnuts if you like your sauce smooth, or leave it with little chunks if you like a thicker texture. Set aside.
- Remove the white toast edges and grind the toast into crumbs. Mix with walnuts and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil and butter and sauté the onion until soft and yellowish but not brown. Add minced garlic and lower heat. Then add breadcrumbs and walnut. Stir for a couple of minutes then add chicken stock/broth.
- Add tomato paste, whisk and leave to simmer on low heat until you achieve the required thickness. You may gradually add more stock if needed. Adjust salt and pepper.
- To serve, put cooked rice in a serving dish. Arrange deboned boiled chicken pieces on top and carefully spoon some of the sauce over the chicken. Serve the rest of the sauce in a separate bowl or sauce boat.
Banana Peanut Butter Rolls
My son liked to dip bananas in peanut butter for breakfast, and one day he wanted to take to...
Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition. This recipe is perfect for any...
Hearty Harira Soup
الوصفة بالعربي My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]