Simple Chicken Curry
By shahdan • May 4, 2018
I love this recipe because this is the basic Chicken Curry dish I grew up eating at home without any complicated ingredients. It is merely juicy chicken in rich flavourful sauce served over aromatic rice. This recipe also works well with shrimps (the fancy variation of the recipe when guests would visit).
This dish is definitely one of my childhood favourites.
- 4 medium chicken breast fillet (sliced into cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 medium onion (finely sliced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 500 ml water (2 cups) - ماء
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 4 tablespoon cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a semi-deep frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and cook chicken cubes on all sides until golden. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil and cook sliced onion on medium/low heat until soft. Add garlic, curry and turmeric and cook for another minute.
- Stir in flour and let it cook for another minute before gradually adding water. Whisk as you add to avoid any lumps.
- Follow with tomato paste, bay leaves and cardamom pods and stir. Then return chicken cubes to the pan. Let it all simmer on low heat until sauce reaches a thick creamy consistency and chicken is cooked through.
- Adjust salt and pepper, add cream and serve with white or yellow rice.
Slow-Cooked Asian Beef Cubes
The combination of deep Asian flavours and tender meat makes this Slow-Cooked Asian Beef Cubes dish...
Figs & Goat Cheese Oregano Pie
Fig season is here and can't stop thinking of all the fun recipes we can prepare using figs. It is...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]