Simple Chicken Curry
By shahdan • May 4, 2018
I love this recipe because this is the basic Chicken Curry dish I grew up eating at home without any complicated ingredients. It is merely juicy chicken in rich flavourful sauce served over aromatic rice. This recipe also works well with shrimps (the fancy variation of the recipe when guests would visit).
This dish is definitely one of my childhood favourites.
- 4 medium chicken breast fillet (sliced into cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 medium onion (finely sliced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 2 small cardamom - حبهان
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 500 ml water (2 cups) - ماء
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 4 tablespoon cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a semi-deep frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and cook chicken cubes on all sides until golden. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil and cook sliced onion on medium/low heat until soft. Add garlic, curry and turmeric and cook for another minute.
- Stir in flour and let it cook for another minute before gradually adding water. Whisk as you add to avoid any lumps.
- Follow with tomato paste, bay leaves and cardamom pods and stir. Then return chicken cubes to the pan. Let it all simmer on low heat until sauce reaches a thick creamy consistency and chicken is cooked through.
- Adjust salt and pepper, add cream and serve with white or yellow rice.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a...
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling...
Everyday Mushroom Risotto
I used to get scared of risotto until I found my sister cooks it as a last minute dish when she was...
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]