Soft Shrimp Rolls
By Sarah Hamada • July 27, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We tried this recipe this summer and found it a perfect appetiser! It is fresh, crispy and luscious. The best thing is to keep a bowl of lukewarm water next to you to dip in the rice paper before rolling. While rolling might seem difficult, once you stack the shrimp and greens nicely, you should be able to roll from your side up for best grasp.
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want to impress. Serve it next to soy sauce or a sweet chili dipping sauce.
- 1 kg shrimp (medium size) - جمبري
- 1 bunch basil (hand-torn) - ريحان
- 11/2 bunch spinach (hand-torn) - سبانخ
- 1 bunch mint (hand-torn) - نعناع
- 1 pack glass noodles - شعرية صيني شفافة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 pack rice paper (about 20 papers) - ورق الأرز
- 2 carrots (shredded) - جزر
- 1/2 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 piece garlic - ثوم
- 1 handful cashew nuts - الكاجو
- 1/4 piece green chili pepper - فلفل أخضر حار
Step by step
- in a medium pan, stir shrimps with butter for 3 minutes then add lemon and salt. (You can also boil it for 5 minutes if you want a healthier snack). Let them cool before folding.
- Hand tear your greens and shred your carrots and get them ready for the folding.
- Boil glass noodles for 5 minutes and let it cool.
- Start preparing the rolls, by dipping the rice paper one by one in lukewarm water for 10-15 seconds before folding each at a time. Then first add the shrimps (around 3 pieces so it looks rich), then the carrots on top, followed by mint and basil and glass noodles, and finish it up with spinach leaves. Then roll it from the bottom up, fold the sides in and continue rolling away from you. You should have around 20 rolls. Chill it in the fridge for an hour before serving.
- To prepare the dipping sauce, mix the soy sauce with minced garlic, broken cashews, and chill.
الوصفه بالعربي The traditional homemade Egyptian kofta is just so simple to prepare...
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Sweet Couscous has always been a classic on my grandmother's dessert table. As children, we used to...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!