Soft Shrimp Rolls
By Sarah Hamada • July 27, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We tried this recipe this summer and found it a perfect appetiser! It is fresh, crispy and luscious. The best thing is to keep a bowl of lukewarm water next to you to dip in the rice paper before rolling. While rolling might seem difficult, once you stack the shrimp and greens nicely, you should be able to roll from your side up for best grasp.
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want to impress. Serve it next to soy sauce or a sweet chili dipping sauce.
- 1 kg shrimp (medium size) - جمبري
- 1 bunch basil (hand-torn) - ريحان
- 11/2 bunch spinach (hand-torn) - سبانخ
- 1 bunch mint (hand-torn) - نعناع
- 1 pack glass noodles - شعرية صيني شفافة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 pack rice paper (about 20 papers) - ورق الأرز
- 2 carrots (shredded) - جزر
- 1/2 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 piece garlic - ثوم
- 1 handful cashew nuts - الكاجو
- 1/4 piece green chili pepper - فلفل أخضر حار
Step by step
- in a medium pan, stir shrimps with butter for 3 minutes then add lemon and salt. (You can also boil it for 5 minutes if you want a healthier snack). Let them cool before folding.
- Hand tear your greens and shred your carrots and get them ready for the folding.
- Boil glass noodles for 5 minutes and let it cool.
- Start preparing the rolls, by dipping the rice paper one by one in lukewarm water for 10-15 seconds before folding each at a time. Then first add the shrimps (around 3 pieces so it looks rich), then the carrots on top, followed by mint and basil and glass noodles, and finish it up with spinach leaves. Then roll it from the bottom up, fold the sides in and continue rolling away from you. You should have around 20 rolls. Chill it in the fridge for an hour before serving.
- To prepare the dipping sauce, mix the soy sauce with minced garlic, broken cashews, and chill.
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Beram Freekeh & Meat Cubes
الوصفه بالعربي This dish is traditionally done with so-called rice pasta (Lessan...
Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]