Soft Shrimp Rolls
By Sarah Hamada • July 27, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We tried this recipe this summer and found it a perfect appetiser! It is fresh, crispy and luscious. The best thing is to keep a bowl of lukewarm water next to you to dip in the rice paper before rolling. While rolling might seem difficult, once you stack the shrimp and greens nicely, you should be able to roll from your side up for best grasp.
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want to impress. Serve it next to soy sauce or a sweet chili dipping sauce.
- 1 kg shrimp (medium size) - جمبري
- 1 bunch basil (hand-torn) - ريحان
- 11/2 bunch spinach (hand-torn) - سبانخ
- 1 bunch mint (hand-torn) - نعناع
- 1 pack glass noodles - شعرية صيني شفافة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 pack rice paper (about 20 papers) - ورق الأرز
- 2 carrots (shredded) - جزر
- 1/2 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 piece garlic - ثوم
- 1 handful cashew nuts - الكاجو
- 1/4 piece green chili pepper - فلفل أخضر حار
Step by step
- in a medium pan, stir shrimps with butter for 3 minutes then add lemon and salt. (You can also boil it for 5 minutes if you want a healthier snack). Let them cool before folding.
- Hand tear your greens and shred your carrots and get them ready for the folding.
- Boil glass noodles for 5 minutes and let it cool.
- Start preparing the rolls, by dipping the rice paper one by one in lukewarm water for 10-15 seconds before folding each at a time. Then first add the shrimps (around 3 pieces so it looks rich), then the carrots on top, followed by mint and basil and glass noodles, and finish it up with spinach leaves. Then roll it from the bottom up, fold the sides in and continue rolling away from you. You should have around 20 rolls. Chill it in the fridge for an hour before serving.
- To prepare the dipping sauce, mix the soy sauce with minced garlic, broken cashews, and chill.
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled...
Duck & Rice Beraam
الوصفة بالعربي Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.