Soft Shrimp Rolls
By Sarah Hamada • July 27, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We tried this recipe this summer and found it a perfect appetiser! It is fresh, crispy and luscious. The best thing is to keep a bowl of lukewarm water next to you to dip in the rice paper before rolling. While rolling might seem difficult, once you stack the shrimp and greens nicely, you should be able to roll from your side up for best grasp.
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want to impress. Serve it next to soy sauce or a sweet chili dipping sauce.
- 1 kg shrimp (medium size) - جمبري
- 1 bunch basil (hand-torn) - ريحان
- 11/2 bunch spinach (hand-torn) - سبانخ
- 1 bunch mint (hand-torn) - نعناع
- 1 pack glass noodles - شعرية صيني شفافة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 pack rice paper (about 20 papers) - ورق الأرز
- 2 carrots (shredded) - جزر
- 1/2 cup soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 piece garlic - ثوم
- 1 handful cashew nuts - الكاجو
- 1/4 piece green chili pepper - فلفل أخضر حار
Step by step
- in a medium pan, stir shrimps with butter for 3 minutes then add lemon and salt. (You can also boil it for 5 minutes if you want a healthier snack). Let them cool before folding.
- Hand tear your greens and shred your carrots and get them ready for the folding.
- Boil glass noodles for 5 minutes and let it cool.
- Start preparing the rolls, by dipping the rice paper one by one in lukewarm water for 10-15 seconds before folding each at a time. Then first add the shrimps (around 3 pieces so it looks rich), then the carrots on top, followed by mint and basil and glass noodles, and finish it up with spinach leaves. Then roll it from the bottom up, fold the sides in and continue rolling away from you. You should have around 20 rolls. Chill it in the fridge for an hour before serving.
- To prepare the dipping sauce, mix the soy sauce with minced garlic, broken cashews, and chill.
Crunchy French Fries with a Kick
With little twists like soaking in vinegar and seasoning with paprika, these traditional fries are...
Rolled Walnut Baklava
الوصفة بالعربي Perfect for entertaining, delicate and crispy, this rolled baklava is...
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.