Vermicelli with Almonds
By shahdan • May 27, 2016
Vermicelli with Almonds (she’reya) has always been an important dish on my family’s dinner party- as well as Ramadan-table. It makes a great delicious & luxurious side dish to proteins such as meat fillets, turkey and chicken. It is very easy to cook, but you will have to give it your full attention (stirring constantly) for 10- 15 minutes, while it’s browning in the butter.
You can add more nuts such as cashews and raisins, but make sure to fry the raisins separately so they don’t burn.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 cup vermicelli - شعرية
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful almonds (plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil) - لوز
Step by step
- Melt butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vermicelli. Using a heat-proof spatula or a wooden spoon, start stirring, making sure all vermicelli pieces are well-coated with the fat and cook evenly. Keep stirring slowly (not forgetting the sides so nothing burns), until vermicelli reaches a golden brown colour. This process needs your full attention!
- Lower the heat to lowest, and carefully add the boiling water. Add salt and pepper to taste, give it a quick stir, cover and leave to cook until soft and water is absorbed (5- 10 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the peeled almonds until golden. Transfer to paper towel and set aside.
- When the vermicelli is cooked, fluff it gently with a fork, and serve it with lots of almonds on top.
Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
Comfort food at its best...this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so...
Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own...
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups