Vermicelli with Almonds
By shahdan • May 27, 2016
Vermicelli with Almonds (she’reya) has always been an important dish on my family’s dinner party- as well as Ramadan-table. It makes a great delicious & luxurious side dish to proteins such as meat fillets, turkey and chicken. It is very easy to cook, but you will have to give it your full attention (stirring constantly) for 10- 15 minutes, while it’s browning in the butter.
You can add more nuts such as cashews and raisins, but make sure to fry the raisins separately so they don’t burn.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 cup vermicelli - شعرية
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful almonds (plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil) - لوز
Step by step
- Melt butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vermicelli. Using a heat-proof spatula or a wooden spoon, start stirring, making sure all vermicelli pieces are well-coated with the fat and cook evenly. Keep stirring slowly (not forgetting the sides so nothing burns), until vermicelli reaches a golden brown colour. This process needs your full attention!
- Lower the heat to lowest, and carefully add the boiling water. Add salt and pepper to taste, give it a quick stir, cover and leave to cook until soft and water is absorbed (5- 10 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the peeled almonds until golden. Transfer to paper towel and set aside.
- When the vermicelli is cooked, fluff it gently with a fork, and serve it with lots of almonds on top.
Thai Beef Salad
The beauty of this Thai Beef Salad is that you can transform leftover meat and rice to a...
Walnut & Date Cake
Since It is the Eid season after Ramadan, I found everybody is running to do the traditional Eid...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]