Vermicelli with Almonds
By shahdan • May 27, 2016
Vermicelli with Almonds (she’reya) has always been an important dish on my family’s dinner party- as well as Ramadan-table. It makes a great delicious & luxurious side dish to proteins such as meat fillets, turkey and chicken. It is very easy to cook, but you will have to give it your full attention (stirring constantly) for 10- 15 minutes, while it’s browning in the butter.
You can add more nuts such as cashews and raisins, but make sure to fry the raisins separately so they don’t burn.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 cup vermicelli - شعرية
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful almonds (plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil) - لوز
Step by step
- Melt butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vermicelli. Using a heat-proof spatula or a wooden spoon, start stirring, making sure all vermicelli pieces are well-coated with the fat and cook evenly. Keep stirring slowly (not forgetting the sides so nothing burns), until vermicelli reaches a golden brown colour. This process needs your full attention!
- Lower the heat to lowest, and carefully add the boiling water. Add salt and pepper to taste, give it a quick stir, cover and leave to cook until soft and water is absorbed (5- 10 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the peeled almonds until golden. Transfer to paper towel and set aside.
- When the vermicelli is cooked, fluff it gently with a fork, and serve it with lots of almonds on top.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy...
Thai Beef Salad
The beauty of this Thai Beef Salad is that you can transform leftover meat and rice to a...
Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate & Icing
This is not really a recipe - it is just a more colorful idea to serving delicious strawberries...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]