Vermicelli with Almonds
By shahdan • May 27, 2016
Vermicelli with Almonds (she’reya) has always been an important dish on my family’s dinner party- as well as Ramadan-table. It makes a great delicious & luxurious side dish to proteins such as meat fillets, turkey and chicken. It is very easy to cook, but you will have to give it your full attention (stirring constantly) for 10- 15 minutes, while it’s browning in the butter.
You can add more nuts such as cashews and raisins, but make sure to fry the raisins separately so they don’t burn.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 4 cup vermicelli - شعرية
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful almonds (plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil) - لوز
Step by step
- Melt butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vermicelli. Using a heat-proof spatula or a wooden spoon, start stirring, making sure all vermicelli pieces are well-coated with the fat and cook evenly. Keep stirring slowly (not forgetting the sides so nothing burns), until vermicelli reaches a golden brown colour. This process needs your full attention!
- Lower the heat to lowest, and carefully add the boiling water. Add salt and pepper to taste, give it a quick stir, cover and leave to cook until soft and water is absorbed (5- 10 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the peeled almonds until golden. Transfer to paper towel and set aside.
- When the vermicelli is cooked, fluff it gently with a fork, and serve it with lots of almonds on top.
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]