Shami Chicken Fattah
By Fayza Riad • February 16, 2017
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served at room temperature. It will save you the on-the-day hassle if prepared in advance and assembled right before serving.
- 1/2 kg yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 5 shamy bread (opened and cut evenly in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1 chicken (boiled and cut into bite-size pieces) - دجاج
- 1 handful almonds - لوز
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- For the yoghurt topping, mix yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry bread squares in hot oil until golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour the nuts as a single layer in a small pan and place on medium/low heat. Shake the pan frequently until nuts are toasted and golden (about 3- 4 minutes). Set aside.
- To serve, add a layer of fried bread on the bottom of the serving dish followed by a layer of boiled chicken pieces. Finally, pour the yogurt to cover. Sprinkle almonds and pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled...
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]