Shami Chicken Fattah
By Fayza Riad • February 16, 2017
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served at room temperature. It will save you the on-the-day hassle if prepared in advance and assembled right before serving.
- 1/2 kg yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 5 shamy bread (opened and cut evenly in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1 chicken (boiled and cut into bite-size pieces) - دجاج
- 1 handful almonds - لوز
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- For the yoghurt topping, mix yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry bread squares in hot oil until golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour the nuts as a single layer in a small pan and place on medium/low heat. Shake the pan frequently until nuts are toasted and golden (about 3- 4 minutes). Set aside.
- To serve, add a layer of fried bread on the bottom of the serving dish followed by a layer of boiled chicken pieces. Finally, pour the yogurt to cover. Sprinkle almonds and pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Raw Chocolate Whoopies with Banana Coconut Filling
It's nice to find a kids chocolate recipe that is sugar-free and that they would enjoy. These...
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with...
Summer Watermelon Salad
This Summer Watermelon Salad Light and refreshing! This is definitely the perfect salad for hot...
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]