Shami Chicken Fattah
By Fayza Riad • February 16, 2017
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served at room temperature. It will save you the on-the-day hassle if prepared in advance and assembled right before serving.
- 1/2 kg yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 5 shamy bread (opened and cut evenly in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1 chicken (boiled and cut into bite-size pieces) - دجاج
- 1 handful almonds - لوز
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- For the yoghurt topping, mix yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry bread squares in hot oil until golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour the nuts as a single layer in a small pan and place on medium/low heat. Shake the pan frequently until nuts are toasted and golden (about 3- 4 minutes). Set aside.
- To serve, add a layer of fried bread on the bottom of the serving dish followed by a layer of boiled chicken pieces. Finally, pour the yogurt to cover. Sprinkle almonds and pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Barbecue Marinated Grilled Chicken
الوصفه بالعربي Simple recipes do go a long way! This is one simple chicken marinade...
Everyday Carrot & Pumpkin Soup
A yummy creamy and filling soup, this everyday easy-to-do carrot and pumpkin soup just ticks all...
Tomatoey Pasta Sauce With Lots of Greens
This is the grown up version of the kids healthy tomato pasta sauce - with added fresh spinach and...
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Kofta Panee is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely for […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]