Shami Chicken Fattah
By Fayza Riad • February 16, 2017
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served at room temperature. It will save you the on-the-day hassle if prepared in advance and assembled right before serving.
- 1/2 kg yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 5 shamy bread (opened and cut evenly in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1 chicken (boiled and cut into bite-size pieces) - دجاج
- 1 handful almonds - لوز
- 1 handful pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- For the yoghurt topping, mix yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fry bread squares in hot oil until golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour the nuts as a single layer in a small pan and place on medium/low heat. Shake the pan frequently until nuts are toasted and golden (about 3- 4 minutes). Set aside.
- To serve, add a layer of fried bread on the bottom of the serving dish followed by a layer of boiled chicken pieces. Finally, pour the yogurt to cover. Sprinkle almonds and pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Poached Eggs with Smoked Salmon
Bored of traditional eggs; here is an easy and healthy recipe for breakfast: Poached Eggs with...
Creamy Banana Almond Ice Cream
Peel and break the bananas into quarters and freeze for at least 12 hours before making this...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]