Savoury Qatayef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Cheese
By yasmine • June 14, 2016
Sun-dried tomatoes and cheese are a match made in heaven! Stuffing our traditional Qatayef with this mix provides a whole new take on a savory side dish we usually have with our soup in Ramadan.
If you like the white cheese & tomato dip, you should enjoy this stuffing as well. With a drizzle of pomegranate molasses while it is still hot, takes these Qatayef to a new level.
- 1 kg Qatayef (medium to large sized) - قطايف
- 100 gram white cheese unsalted - جبنة بيضاء ملح خفيف
- 50 gram baramili white cheese - جبنة براميلي
- sun-dried tomatoes (sliced) - طماطم مجففة
- 2 cup sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 tablespoon oregano (optional) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- drizzle pomegranate molasses (optional) - دبس رمان
Step by step
- In a blender, mix the two cheese and oregano (if using any) until smooth. If it is a bit crumbly, add a tablespoon of olive oil to smoothen. Add sliced sun-dried tomatoes and pulse a couple of times so you keep some complete tomato bits in the stuffing,
- Using a small teaspoon, stuff the Qatayef with enough cheese making sure it is firmly binded and no cheese will ooze out in the oil. Once your close the Qatayef firmly you can freeze them for a month or proceed to frying and serving them.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan or pot. It should take about 5 minutes on medium heat. Fry the first batch of Qatayef making sure you don't overcram the oil. Each batch should take about 5 minutes to be crispy from the outside and soft from the inside.
- Remove the Qatayef from the oil and place it on a plate covered with kitchen paper to soak the excess oil. Serve it warm with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses for an extra kick.
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
Baby Spinach & Mozzarella Salad
Great for entertaining, this salad was created when I decided we need to eat these two beautiful...
Garlic & Vinegar Slow-Cooked Lamb: Lamb Vindaloo
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]