By Maha Yacine • October 15, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We tested this recipe in the CairoCooking kitchen and we absolutely loved it. We used a pinch of saffron threads and it worked its magic with the rice. Because this rice recipe has flavoursome onions in it, we did not feel that adding the vegetable cube was essential. We only added some salt and pepper to the rice water. It was delicious.
Easy to cook and a nice change from the regular daily white rice.
Recipe submitted by Maha Yacine
- 1 cup basmati rice (or Jasmine rice) - أرز بسمتي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup water - ماء
- 1 pinch saffron - زعفران
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- salt (to taste) - ملح
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
Step by step
- Soak a pinch of saffron in a little warm water for a few minutes.
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the finely chopped onion. Stir regularly until the onion is softened.
- Add the rice and mix for a minute before you stir in the saffron-water mix, 2 cups of water, salt, and the vegetable cube.
- Bring to the boil and make sure the cube is well dissolved, then lower the heat to a minimum, cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
Homemade Creamy Date Syrup
This two-ingredient replacement to sugar, honey and all artificial sweeteners, is to die for! You...
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Easy Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce
الوصفه بالعربي This Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce is a great option...
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), […]