By Maha Yacine • October 15, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We tested this recipe in the CairoCooking kitchen and we absolutely loved it. We used a pinch of saffron threads and it worked its magic with the rice. Because this rice recipe has flavoursome onions in it, we did not feel that adding the vegetable cube was essential. We only added some salt and pepper to the rice water. It was delicious.
Easy to cook and a nice change from the regular daily white rice.
Recipe submitted by Maha Yacine
- 1 cup basmati rice (or Jasmine rice) - أرز بسمتي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup water - ماء
- 1 pinch saffron - زعفران
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- salt (to taste) - ملح
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
Step by step
- Soak a pinch of saffron in a little warm water for a few minutes.
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the finely chopped onion. Stir regularly until the onion is softened.
- Add the rice and mix for a minute before you stir in the saffron-water mix, 2 cups of water, salt, and the vegetable cube.
- Bring to the boil and make sure the cube is well dissolved, then lower the heat to a minimum, cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
Shami Chicken Fattah
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Paleo Chocolate Mousse
Paleo cooking refrains from processed sugars and gluten but doesn't compromise on good taste. This...
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Creamy Salmon Fillets Farfelle
Creamy & heavenly, the Salmon Farfelle Pasta is a restaurant-quality dish, in the comfort of your own home. It is definitely the perfect dish for special occasions.