Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
By shahdan • January 17, 2016
Another popular Egyptian classic… A rustic oven dish with one whole chicken roasted over a bed of onions, potatoes, and tomatoes and sprinkled with lots of aromatic thyme among other spices. It’s one of those dishes that are best served in the same oven tray.
The pleasure of digging in, to spoon out those roasted potatoes, cooked with the tastiest chicken juices, tomatoes and sweetly roasted onion rings, is just incredible. I believe that those hearty dishes are part of life’s little things that make a house a home.
This is my childhood recipe and it is a little different from the classic because I use ketchup as my secret ingredient. The sugar in ketchup helps the onions caramelize and gives the chicken a special sweet taste.
- 1 medium chicken (Around 1.2 kg- butterflied) - دجاج
- 2 large onion (sliced) - بصلة
- 4 large potatoes (cut into thick fingers) - بطاطس
- 2 medium tomatoes (sliced) - طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 4 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 4 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 5 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the potato fingers into an oven dish. Generously season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, 2 tsps. thyme and a drizzle olive oil. Mix well. Add the bay leaves and the cardamoms. Arrange half of the tomatoes and onion slices on top.
- Press on the chicken to make it as flat as possible so it cooks evenly. Rub the chicken from all sides with 2 tsps. thyme, salt, pepper, olive oil and 2 tablespoons ketchup.
- Place the seasoned chicken on the potatoes, and arrange the remaining tomatoes and onions on top. Sprinkle extra thyme, a drizzle olive oil, and another drizzle of ketchup.
- To help the potatoes cook, add 1/4 cup of water.
- Bake covered in a 200C preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover, and bake for a further 30 minutes. Ovens may vary so make sure the chicken is cooked through and the poatoes are nice and soft before serving.
Chewy Toffee & Nut On Biscuits
It is chewy from the toffee, crunchy from the bottom biscuit while the whole almonds give it a...
Cheat Mango & Mint Pavlova
Nothing beats a home-made dessert when hosting a dinner party. With our Egyptian big impressive...
Summer Lime Karkadeh (Hibiscus)
Since Karkadeh is just consumed in Ramadan. I personally think it's the perfect summer drink of all...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]