Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
By shahdan • January 17, 2016
Another popular Egyptian classic… A rustic oven dish with one whole chicken roasted over a bed of onions, potatoes, and tomatoes and sprinkled with lots of aromatic thyme among other spices. It’s one of those dishes that are best served in the same oven tray.
The pleasure of digging in, to spoon out those roasted potatoes, cooked with the tastiest chicken juices, tomatoes and sweetly roasted onion rings, is just incredible. I believe that those hearty dishes are part of life’s little things that make a house a home.
This is my childhood recipe and it is a little different from the classic because I use ketchup as my secret ingredient. The sugar in ketchup helps the onions caramelize and gives the chicken a special sweet taste.
- 1 medium chicken (Around 1.2 kg- butterflied) - دجاج
- 2 large onion (sliced) - بصلة
- 4 large potatoes (cut into thick fingers) - بطاطس
- 2 medium tomatoes (sliced) - طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 4 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 4 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 5 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the potato fingers into an oven dish. Generously season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, 2 tsps. thyme and a drizzle olive oil. Mix well. Add the bay leaves and the cardamoms. Arrange half of the tomatoes and onion slices on top.
- Press on the chicken to make it as flat as possible so it cooks evenly. Rub the chicken from all sides with 2 tsps. thyme, salt, pepper, olive oil and 2 tablespoons ketchup.
- Place the seasoned chicken on the potatoes, and arrange the remaining tomatoes and onions on top. Sprinkle extra thyme, a drizzle olive oil, and another drizzle of ketchup.
- To help the potatoes cook, add 1/4 cup of water.
- Bake covered in a 200C preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover, and bake for a further 30 minutes. Ovens may vary so make sure the chicken is cooked through and the poatoes are nice and soft before serving.
Pineapple Quinoa Salad
With the sweet taste of pineapple and the aroma of fresh mint leaves, this exotic Pineapple Quinoa...
Pesto Baked Mussels
This is one of my favorite dishes at one of those pot mussels restaurants. It is so simple yet...
Sweet Potato in Coconut Cream
From 7 months. Although, allergic reactions to coconut are very rare (according to the Food...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]