Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
By yasmine • May 20, 2015
Not just an incredible dip and appetiser, this hummus is great for kids not just with a sweetness kick but also full of nutrition – red bell peppers contain loads of Vitamin A and C while the hummus grain is a great source of iron and potassium. It also can stay up to a week in the fridge to be used with your baladi or pita bread sandwiches or as a dip for dinner with crudités.
- 200 gram chickpeas - حمص
- 2 large red bell pepper - فلفل رومي احمر
- 4 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 large lemon - ليمون
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (and a little more for lathering the red pepper) - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional) - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the hummus beans and leave them soaked in water overnight then boil for 30 minutes until softened. Reserve the remaining water.
- Heat the oven at 180C. Cut the red pepper in half lengthwise, deseed and roast face down (skin side up) and lather in some olive oil. Place them in the oven for 30 minutes. Let them cool then peel the skin off and roughly chop the roasted red pepper.
- Put the soft hummus in the blender for a few minutes, and then add tahini, minced garlic, lime juice, cumin, paprika and salt. Add some of the hummus water bit by bit to achieve a thick creamy consistency. Finally add the chopped red pepper to the blender.
- Mix in the olive oil using a spatula or a spoon as well as more lemon, salt or cumin to taste.
You know that 'batates sandwich' everyone loves at 'foul' shops? These quesadillas are the Mexican...
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
This is a very easy dinner party dish that will wow your guests. It is also loaded with healthy...
Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]