Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
By yasmine • May 20, 2015
Not just an incredible dip and appetiser, this hummus is great for kids not just with a sweetness kick but also full of nutrition – red bell peppers contain loads of Vitamin A and C while the hummus grain is a great source of iron and potassium. It also can stay up to a week in the fridge to be used with your baladi or pita bread sandwiches or as a dip for dinner with crudités.
- 200 gram chickpeas - حمص
- 2 large red bell pepper - فلفل رومي احمر
- 4 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 large lemon - ليمون
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (and a little more for lathering the red pepper) - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional) - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
Step by step
- Wash the hummus beans and leave them soaked in water overnight then boil for 30 minutes until softened. Reserve the remaining water.
- Heat the oven at 180C. Cut the red pepper in half lengthwise, deseed and roast face down (skin side up) and lather in some olive oil. Place them in the oven for 30 minutes. Let them cool then peel the skin off and roughly chop the roasted red pepper.
- Put the soft hummus in the blender for a few minutes, and then add tahini, minced garlic, lime juice, cumin, paprika and salt. Add some of the hummus water bit by bit to achieve a thick creamy consistency. Finally add the chopped red pepper to the blender.
- Mix in the olive oil using a spatula or a spoon as well as more lemon, salt or cumin to taste.
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw...
Mahshi Koronb (Stuffed Cabbage) Made Simple
Even though I love cooking and I have a passion for traditional Egyptian food, Mahshi Koronb...
Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You...
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]