Roasted Beets & Carrot Soup
By Sherine Fahmy • August 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We cooked this soup using red beetroot since this is what's available in the local market. Delightfully, this soup is filling for those following a clean eating detox or vegetarian routine. The combination of the cinnamon and beetroot add sweetness to the taste helping you avoid cravings during your detox. We added an extra cup of stock cause we felt, it is a bit too thick using only 4 cups.
In season, summer root vegetables marry well together, creating a light yet fulfilling soup.
I used golden beets in my recipe but it can be substituted for regular red beetroot. Your soup will be a delightfully pink color that you can surprise your guests with. Any of your favorite greens can be added on top for garnish. For example, arugula, spinach, you can even sauté the greens from the beets and add those on top.
- 2 cup beetroot (cut in cubes) - بنجر
- 3 large carrots (cut in cubes) - جزر
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (melted) - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful arugula (OR baby spinach, thinly sliced for garnish) - جرجير
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line an oven pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add root vegetables, coconut oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Spread on pan, leaving enough room between the vegetables and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Once cooked through, transfer to a blender, and add cumin and cinnamon, as well as one ladle of chicken broth at a time while blending. Keep adding broth, until desired consistency.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowl, drizzle with some olive oil, finishing salt, and a dash of arugula for garnish. Enjoy!
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is...
Pumpkin Mini Muffins
Recipe in Arabic مافين القرع العسلي These super yummy pumpkin muffins are one of...
Thai Beef Salad
The beauty of this Thai Beef Salad is that you can transform leftover meat and rice to a...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Sauce
This Zucchini Noodles recipe is amazing for kids as it gives them the feel of eating noodles not zucchini! It can also be a big hit in a small gathering. I personally love it because it is healthy and incredibly easy to prepare .
No-Bake Mac & Cheese
This is a quick and easy No-Bake Mac & Cheese that my kids love and ask for, especially during the winter season. It is not the lightest meal, but it is hearty and delicious. The cheese sauce is made out of a relatively thinner béchamel sauce where the cheese thickens the consistency making it just […]