Roasted Beets & Carrot Soup
By Sherine Fahmy • August 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We cooked this soup using red beetroot since this is what's available in the local market. Delightfully, this soup is filling for those following a clean eating detox or vegetarian routine. The combination of the cinnamon and beetroot add sweetness to the taste helping you avoid cravings during your detox. We added an extra cup of stock cause we felt, it is a bit too thick using only 4 cups.
In season, summer root vegetables marry well together, creating a light yet fulfilling soup.
I used golden beets in my recipe but it can be substituted for regular red beetroot. Your soup will be a delightfully pink color that you can surprise your guests with. Any of your favorite greens can be added on top for garnish. For example, arugula, spinach, you can even sauté the greens from the beets and add those on top.
- 2 cup beetroot (cut in cubes) - بنجر
- 3 large carrots (cut in cubes) - جزر
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (melted) - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful arugula (OR baby spinach, thinly sliced for garnish) - جرجير
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line an oven pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add root vegetables, coconut oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Spread on pan, leaving enough room between the vegetables and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Once cooked through, transfer to a blender, and add cumin and cinnamon, as well as one ladle of chicken broth at a time while blending. Keep adding broth, until desired consistency.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowl, drizzle with some olive oil, finishing salt, and a dash of arugula for garnish. Enjoy!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Sauce
This Zucchini Noodles recipe is amazing for kids as it gives them the feel of eating noodles not...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Salmon Ravioli en Papillotes
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Hassle-free and...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]