Roasted Beets & Carrot Soup
By Sherine Fahmy • August 4, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
We cooked this soup using red beetroot since this is what's available in the local market. Delightfully, this soup is filling for those following a clean eating detox or vegetarian routine. The combination of the cinnamon and beetroot add sweetness to the taste helping you avoid cravings during your detox. We added an extra cup of stock cause we felt, it is a bit too thick using only 4 cups.
In season, summer root vegetables marry well together, creating a light yet fulfilling soup.
I used golden beets in my recipe but it can be substituted for regular red beetroot. Your soup will be a delightfully pink color that you can surprise your guests with. Any of your favorite greens can be added on top for garnish. For example, arugula, spinach, you can even sauté the greens from the beets and add those on top.
- 2 cup beetroot (cut in cubes) - بنجر
- 3 large carrots (cut in cubes) - جزر
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (melted) - زيت جوز الهند
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful arugula (OR baby spinach, thinly sliced for garnish) - جرجير
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line an oven pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add root vegetables, coconut oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Spread on pan, leaving enough room between the vegetables and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Once cooked through, transfer to a blender, and add cumin and cinnamon, as well as one ladle of chicken broth at a time while blending. Keep adding broth, until desired consistency.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowl, drizzle with some olive oil, finishing salt, and a dash of arugula for garnish. Enjoy!
El-Mouled Gingerbread Cookies
When a classic christmassy recipe meets a very authentic presentation..Just the perfect way to...
Arugula Sun-dried Tomato & Parmesan Salad
This salad is so delicious, it always leaves an impression with guests. It is a sophisticated...
Shredded Carrot & Coriander Salad
This is originally a Gordon Ramsay recipe for outdoor picnics and summer activities. However, we...
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.