Roast Beef On The Stove
By yasmine • May 15, 2015
There are several ways to do a roast beef – some people prefer putting it in the oven while others fry it in a pan, and then maybe place it in the oven or boil it in stock. Whatever your way, you need to make sure it is tied well with cooking rope (or have your butcher do it for you), and keep it in the fridge after you cook it for a day. If you dread cutting it yourself (as I do!), you can take it to the supermarket cold cuts and cheese section and have them cut it on their slider for you.
This is a great meat to keep in the fridge for days and use it for sandwiches, the kids lunchbox or just eat it lightly with a good Dijon.
- Approx. 700 gram beef fillet (1 piece) - فيليه كندوز
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (for pan frying) - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional) - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 onion (cut in quarters) - بصلة
- 2 stem celery (and any greens like parsley, basil, rosemary, oregano) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
Step by step
- Make sure your meat piece is at room temperature before you start cooking it. That way you make sure the whole piece is cooked evenly.
- Mix pepper with nutmeg and minced garlic then rub the meat with it from all sides.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and fry the beef on all sides for about 10 minutes or until all sides have a darker brown colour.
- On medium heat, fill a large pot with 1.5 to 2 litres lukewarm water (as much as needed to cover the beef), add bay leaf, cardamom, onions, salt and greens. Once it boils, put the heat on low to simmer and add the beef.
- Leave it to simmer for 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your beef log.
- When it is done, leave it in room temperature to cool down before you pack it in shrink sleeve and put in the fridge overnight. That way you will be able to cut through it easier and without crumbs.
Grain-free Almond Bread
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple recipe for grain-free bread made with almonds and...
Banana Chocolate Wheat Cakes Toasties
The Banana Honey-based Chocolate Wheat Cakes Toasties are an incredibly nutritious yet sweet...
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]