Roast Beef On The Stove
By yasmine • May 15, 2015
There are several ways to do a roast beef – some people prefer putting it in the oven while others fry it in a pan, and then maybe place it in the oven or boil it in stock. Whatever your way, you need to make sure it is tied well with cooking rope (or have your butcher do it for you), and keep it in the fridge after you cook it for a day. If you dread cutting it yourself (as I do!), you can take it to the supermarket cold cuts and cheese section and have them cut it on their slider for you.
This is a great meat to keep in the fridge for days and use it for sandwiches, the kids lunchbox or just eat it lightly with a good Dijon.
- Approx. 700 gram beef fillet (1 piece) - فيليه كندوز
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (for pan frying) - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional) - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 onion (cut in quarters) - بصلة
- 2 stem celery (and any greens like parsley, basil, rosemary, oregano) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
Step by step
- Make sure your meat piece is at room temperature before you start cooking it. That way you make sure the whole piece is cooked evenly.
- Mix pepper with nutmeg and minced garlic then rub the meat with it from all sides.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and fry the beef on all sides for about 10 minutes or until all sides have a darker brown colour.
- On medium heat, fill a large pot with 1.5 to 2 litres lukewarm water (as much as needed to cover the beef), add bay leaf, cardamom, onions, salt and greens. Once it boils, put the heat on low to simmer and add the beef.
- Leave it to simmer for 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your beef log.
- When it is done, leave it in room temperature to cool down before you pack it in shrink sleeve and put in the fridge overnight. That way you will be able to cut through it easier and without crumbs.
Sweet Potato in Coconut Cream
From 7 months. Although, allergic reactions to coconut are very rare (according to the Food...
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
Basterma Green Salad
This salad will definitely go on your favorites list if you are a basterma fan. I served it once...
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]