Roast Beef On The Stove
By yasmine • May 15, 2015
There are several ways to do a roast beef – some people prefer putting it in the oven while others fry it in a pan, and then maybe place it in the oven or boil it in stock. Whatever your way, you need to make sure it is tied well with cooking rope (or have your butcher do it for you), and keep it in the fridge after you cook it for a day. If you dread cutting it yourself (as I do!), you can take it to the supermarket cold cuts and cheese section and have them cut it on their slider for you.
This is a great meat to keep in the fridge for days and use it for sandwiches, the kids lunchbox or just eat it lightly with a good Dijon.
- Approx. 700 gram beef fillet (1 piece) - فيليه كندوز
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (for pan frying) - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional) - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 onion (cut in quarters) - بصلة
- 2 stem celery (and any greens like parsley, basil, rosemary, oregano) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
Step by step
- Make sure your meat piece is at room temperature before you start cooking it. That way you make sure the whole piece is cooked evenly.
- Mix pepper with nutmeg and minced garlic then rub the meat with it from all sides.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and fry the beef on all sides for about 10 minutes or until all sides have a darker brown colour.
- On medium heat, fill a large pot with 1.5 to 2 litres lukewarm water (as much as needed to cover the beef), add bay leaf, cardamom, onions, salt and greens. Once it boils, put the heat on low to simmer and add the beef.
- Leave it to simmer for 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your beef log.
- When it is done, leave it in room temperature to cool down before you pack it in shrink sleeve and put in the fridge overnight. That way you will be able to cut through it easier and without crumbs.
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Warm Halva Pudding
If you are a fan of Halva (like me), you will fall in love with this sweet and simple dessert. You...
Grilled Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
الوصفة بالعربي This is an easy everyday recipe for marinated chicken with lemon and...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]