Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
By shahdan • March 1, 2016
Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown ups love. That is why it is a perfect dish for playdates and kids’ parties. Rice meatballs are absolutely delicious with rice and molokheyya, or with plain pasta. Kids who don’t like tomato sauce love to eat them, just baked, with a dip on the side.
Originally, this kind of meatballs should be fried, however we love to bake them instead!
The meatballs can be cooked in advance and chilled (in the sauce) in the fridge for a day or two.
Recipe yields 25- 30 meatballs.
Turn these meatballs into an exciting Fatta.
- 500 gram minced meat (beef) - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 3 tablespoon rice - أرز
- 1 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 750 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water then leave the rice in a sieve to dry completely.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Blend rice in a food processor until it breaks into little pieces. Remove from food processor, then blend onion with coriander (after chopping and discarding the long coriander stalks at the end).
- In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the onion, coriander, rice, salt, pepper and all spice until well-combined (using your hands or a fork).
- Use your hands to make small meatballs.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and bake the meatballs for 20 minutes. Turn them over one time half way through.
- For the tomato sauce, chop your tomatoes and puree in a blender. You can leave it a bit chunky for more texture in the sauce.
- In a big pot, heat one tablespoon olive oil, and add minced garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato puree, salt and pepper. You may add a little water if needed. Leave to boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and carefully drop them in the sauce.
- Lower the heat and leave them to simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Make sure the meatballs are cooked-through. Adjust salt and pepper and garnish with fresh coriander.
Special Minty Zucchini
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple yet delicious vegetable dish using ingredients...
Simple Mahalabeya with Lime Curd
A different & summery take on this nostalgic all time favorite Ramadan pudding, but this time I...
Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]