Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
By shahdan • March 1, 2016
Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown ups love. That is why it is a perfect dish for playdates and kids’ parties. Rice meatballs are absolutely delicious with rice and molokheyya, or with plain pasta. Kids who don’t like tomato sauce love to eat them, just baked, with a dip on the side.
Originally, this kind of meatballs should be fried, however we love to bake them instead!
The meatballs can be cooked in advance and chilled (in the sauce) in the fridge for a day or two.
Recipe yields 25- 30 meatballs.
Turn these meatballs into an exciting Fatta.
- 500 gram minced meat (beef) - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 3 tablespoon rice - أرز
- 1 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 750 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water then leave the rice in a sieve to dry completely.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Blend rice in a food processor until it breaks into little pieces. Remove from food processor, then blend onion with coriander (after chopping and discarding the long coriander stalks at the end).
- In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the onion, coriander, rice, salt, pepper and all spice until well-combined (using your hands or a fork).
- Use your hands to make small meatballs.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and bake the meatballs for 20 minutes. Turn them over one time half way through.
- For the tomato sauce, chop your tomatoes and puree in a blender. You can leave it a bit chunky for more texture in the sauce.
- In a big pot, heat one tablespoon olive oil, and add minced garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato puree, salt and pepper. You may add a little water if needed. Leave to boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and carefully drop them in the sauce.
- Lower the heat and leave them to simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Make sure the meatballs are cooked-through. Adjust salt and pepper and garnish with fresh coriander.
Luscious White Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-pan.com This cake...
Rolled Walnut Baklava
الوصفة بالعربي Perfect for entertaining, delicate and crispy, this rolled baklava is...
Scrumptious Homemade Pretzels
Did you know that yummy pretzels can be baked from your leftover pizza dough? Yes – this is for...
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]