Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
By shahdan • March 1, 2016
Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown ups love. That is why it is a perfect dish for playdates and kids’ parties. Rice meatballs are absolutely delicious with rice and molokheyya, or with plain pasta. Kids who don’t like tomato sauce love to eat them, just baked, with a dip on the side.
Originally, this kind of meatballs should be fried, however we love to bake them instead!
The meatballs can be cooked in advance and chilled (in the sauce) in the fridge for a day or two.
Recipe yields 25- 30 meatballs.
Turn these meatballs into an exciting Fatta.
- 500 gram minced meat (beef) - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 3 tablespoon rice - أرز
- 1 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 750 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water then leave the rice in a sieve to dry completely.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Blend rice in a food processor until it breaks into little pieces. Remove from food processor, then blend onion with coriander (after chopping and discarding the long coriander stalks at the end).
- In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the onion, coriander, rice, salt, pepper and all spice until well-combined (using your hands or a fork).
- Use your hands to make small meatballs.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and bake the meatballs for 20 minutes. Turn them over one time half way through.
- For the tomato sauce, chop your tomatoes and puree in a blender. You can leave it a bit chunky for more texture in the sauce.
- In a big pot, heat one tablespoon olive oil, and add minced garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato puree, salt and pepper. You may add a little water if needed. Leave to boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and carefully drop them in the sauce.
- Lower the heat and leave them to simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Make sure the meatballs are cooked-through. Adjust salt and pepper and garnish with fresh coriander.
Caramel Cheesecake Topped with Chocolate Shavings
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Homemade rich...
Oven-Baked Herb Fish
To add more fish to your weekly meals, try this hassle-free Oven-Baked Herb Fish recipe! In less...
Fig Tarte Bourdaloue
This dessert is very easy to prepare and very tasty. After figs season is over, I will be...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]