Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
By shahdan • March 1, 2016
Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown ups love. That is why it is a perfect dish for playdates and kids’ parties. Rice meatballs are absolutely delicious with rice and molokheyya, or with plain pasta. Kids who don’t like tomato sauce love to eat them, just baked, with a dip on the side.
Originally, this kind of meatballs should be fried, however we love to bake them instead!
The meatballs can be cooked in advance and chilled (in the sauce) in the fridge for a day or two.
Recipe yields 25- 30 meatballs.
Turn these meatballs into an exciting Fatta.
- 500 gram minced meat (beef) - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 3 tablespoon rice - أرز
- 1 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 750 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water then leave the rice in a sieve to dry completely.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Blend rice in a food processor until it breaks into little pieces. Remove from food processor, then blend onion with coriander (after chopping and discarding the long coriander stalks at the end).
- In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the onion, coriander, rice, salt, pepper and all spice until well-combined (using your hands or a fork).
- Use your hands to make small meatballs.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper and bake the meatballs for 20 minutes. Turn them over one time half way through.
- For the tomato sauce, chop your tomatoes and puree in a blender. You can leave it a bit chunky for more texture in the sauce.
- In a big pot, heat one tablespoon olive oil, and add minced garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato puree, salt and pepper. You may add a little water if needed. Leave to boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and carefully drop them in the sauce.
- Lower the heat and leave them to simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Make sure the meatballs are cooked-through. Adjust salt and pepper and garnish with fresh coriander.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a...
Salmon with Cold Fresh Oriental Salsa
Inspired by the traditional fattoush, this out-of-the-box salmon dish is fresh, lemony and full of...
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet, creamy, and so heart-warming, what's a better winter warmer than home baked...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.