By shahdan • May 16, 2020
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your oven.
Here are some tips for a delicious Rice Beraam/Tajin:
- I find it easier (and tastier) to bake it two hours before serving then cover and set aside in a warm place for another hour in order to keep it soft and moist.
- The classic rice to liquid ratio is 1:2, being one portion rice to two portions liquid.
- If you like your rice less moist, make the ratio 1 rice to 1.5 liquid.
- The liquid could be milk only, milk and stock, or milk and water.
- Use Egyptian rice for this recipe. If you live abroad and don’t have Egyptian rice, you can use Pudding Rice, Paella Rice or Arborio Rice. Long grain and Basmati rice will not work for this recipe.
- Using fresh milk is better than pasteurised especially if you are not adding thick cream قشطة on top.
- You can add a boiled chicken layer in the middle of the rice.
- Finally you can use a traditional beraam or just any oven dish like pyrex. Most importantly, don’t over-fill it because rice and milk will rise in the oven.
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian rice) - أرز
- 3 3/4 cup full cream milk - لبن كامل الدسم
- 1/4 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 2 pod mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 2 medium bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 pinch sugar (optional) - سكر
- 1 tablespoon butter (plus extra to grease oven dish) - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon cream (optional) - قشطة
Step by step
- Soak rice for an hour. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly brush the oven dish with butter. Place drained rice in the dish.
- Place milk in a pot. Use a pestle and mortar ايد الهون to break cardamom and mastic then add to the milk with all other spices, and butter.
- Gently heat milk to infuse it with all the spice flavours until hot but not boiling.
- Add cream to the warm milk. Use a sieve to pour the spice infused milk over the rice and mix gently.
- Add cream on top (if using any).
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven with grill on for about 15 minutes or until the top is bubbly and nicely browned, then turn of grill and lower heat to 180, and bake for another 30- 45 minutes (depending on your oven, and the width of the dish) until all liquid is absorbed and rice is soft. You can check from the sides.
- Cover with foil and keep in a warm place until serving time.
Easy Smoked Salmon Blini
Party food at its best! These salmon blini are not only elegant and absolutely scrumptious but they...
Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just...
Poached Eggs with Smoked Salmon
Bored of traditional eggs; here is an easy and healthy recipe for breakfast: Poached Eggs with...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.