Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
By shahdan • February 24, 2018
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful vegetables. Beware that if you happen to live outside of the Middle East, the smell and taste will take you straight back to Egypt.
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi is a complete vegan meal on its own. It also makes a perfect side dish served warm next to your favorite roasted or grilled protein dish.
You might also consider adding it to your lunchbox since it can be consumed cold like a salad.
*Recipe ingredients were measured using a 250ml measuring cup.
- 1/2 kg eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 1/4 kg bell peppers - فلفل ملون
- 1/4 kg zucchini - كوسة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 large onions (finely chopped) - بصل
- 2 cup tomato juice (blended & sieved) - عصير طماطم
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 2 cup quinoa - كينوا
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1 bunch parsley (leaves & stalks finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 bunch coriander (leaves & stalks finely chopped) - كزبرة
- 1 bunch mint (stems removed - leaves finely chopped) - نعناع
- 2 cup vegetable stock - مرقة خضار
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. To prepare the vegetables, cut eggplants, zucchini and peppers into medium-thick slices. Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and arrange on a baking tray. Place them in the oven, turning occasionally, until roasted and soft (about 30 minutes). If you feel the vegetables are not fully roasted after 30 minutes consider turning on the oven grill for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a large pot. Add minced onions and sauté on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Lower heat and let it simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- In a sieve, rinse quinoa with fresh water, and add it to the tomato juice. Cook over low heat while stirring occasionally until it absorbs most of the tomato juice.
- Add pomegranate molasses, ginger powder, chopped parsley, coriander and mint (make sure you leave some greens behind for garnish). Stir to combine and turn off the heat.
- When the sliced vegetables are fully roasted, stir them into the quinoa pot. Then add hot stock, cover and leave to cook over low heat (about 35 minutes) until quinoa is cooked through.
- Fluff up the quinoa with a fork to make sure it is well-cooked. Serve in a large dish and garnish with greens. Serve warm or cold.
Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that's due to the prolonged...
Barbecue Marinated Grilled Chicken
الوصفه بالعربي Simple recipes do go a long way! This is one simple chicken marinade...
Grilled Veggie Rolls with Cashew Cheese
These veggie rolls are enriched with the creaminess of the cashew cheese. The combination of the...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]