By Shewekar Elgharably • May 17, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Kitchari is India’s detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is substituted with quinoa due to the numerous benefits of quinoa:
- Contains a combo of healthy acids that can help reduce unhealthy cholesterol levels in the blood & fight inflammation.
- Good source of protein, contains all the essential amino acids.
- High in antioxidants, which protect against free-radical damage.
- Quinoa is easy to digest and is gluten free.
- 1 cup quinoa - كينوا
- ½ cup brown lentils (cooked) - عدس بني
- ½ cup yellow lentils (or split peas) - عدس أصفر
- 4 cup vegetable stock (can be replaced with water) - مرقة خضار
- 2 cup vegetables (broccoli, carrots, celery, kale, swiss chard...) - خضار
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (for cooking) - زيت جوز الهند
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds - بذور الخردل
- ½ teaspoon coriander - كزبرة
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- ½ teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Wash & drain the quinoa and yellow lentils.
- Chop all veggies and greens.
- Heat the oil, sautee mustard seeds until they pop and add the yellow lentils (or split peas), quinoa, the chopped veggies and the rest of the spices.
- Add broth, bring to a boil then put down the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in the greens and cooked brown lentils just before you take it off the heat. Garnish with cilantro.
Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Vegetable Curry
This is a perfect vegetarian option especially when you need a break from regular proteins. With...
Luscious Tuna Wrap
In this luscious wrap, tuna is made creamy with labna cheese to substitute heavy mayonnaise! Add...
Colourful Easter Pancakes
Easter is almost here and here is an easy colorful pancakes breakfast for such an...
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Cucumber and Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new go-to salad for your family & friends. It is super healthy and works as a scrumptious side dish to your grilled protein when you are looking for a filling carb-like option.