By Shewekar Elgharably • May 17, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
Shewekar Elgharably is a certified health coach and a passionate clean eating cook. She is inspiring us with her rich and nutritious recipes that can help improve our eating habits leaving us more energetic, less stressed, feeling and looking healthier as well as inspired for a cleaner living. You can follow her on Instagram @shewekar or #healthyrocks or search her recipes exclusively here.
Kitchari is India’s detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is substituted with quinoa due to the numerous benefits of quinoa:
- Contains a combo of healthy acids that can help reduce unhealthy cholesterol levels in the blood & fight inflammation.
- Good source of protein, contains all the essential amino acids.
- High in antioxidants, which protect against free-radical damage.
- Quinoa is easy to digest and is gluten free.
- 1 cup quinoa - كينوا
- ½ cup brown lentils (cooked) - عدس بني
- ½ cup yellow lentils (or split peas) - عدس أصفر
- 4 cup vegetable stock (can be replaced with water) - مرقة خضار
- 2 cup vegetables (broccoli, carrots, celery, kale, swiss chard...) - خضار
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (for cooking) - زيت جوز الهند
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds - بذور الخردل
- ½ teaspoon coriander - كزبرة
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- ½ teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- sea salt - ملح البحر
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Wash & drain the quinoa and yellow lentils.
- Chop all veggies and greens.
- Heat the oil, sautee mustard seeds until they pop and add the yellow lentils (or split peas), quinoa, the chopped veggies and the rest of the spices.
- Add broth, bring to a boil then put down the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in the greens and cooked brown lentils just before you take it off the heat. Garnish with cilantro.
Honey Cinnamon Toasties
From 12 months. Make your kids happy with those yummy sweet toasties. Healthy, super simple, and...
Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the...
Traditional Sweet Qatayef
The traditional sweet Qatayef are different in each home. Some people add almonds and pistachios,...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]