Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
By yasmine • September 3, 2018
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet.
The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are not obligatory but they add extra nutritional values and a stronger flavor to the spinach.
Serve your spinach next to white or brown rice, freekeh, or crispy baladi bread.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large red onion (diced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tomatoes (finely chopped) - طماطم
- 400 gram spinach - سبانخ
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock (OR hot water with extra salt & pepper) - مرقة دجاج
- 2 tablespoon dill (finely chopped) - شبت
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in medium pot. Fry diced red onions for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally then follow with tomatoes.
- Season with all spice, salt and pepper then stir in the spinach.
- Add chicken broth and bring it to a boil. Lower heat and cover pot. Let spinach cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Five minutes before taking it off the heat, add chopped herbs and stir.
- Serve in a deep serving dish next to rice or crispy bread.
Delicious Tiramisu Siciliano
While living in Europe, one of my best friends was the amazing Elisa from Sicily! I used to LOVE...
Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family....
Salmon with Cold Fresh Oriental Salsa
Inspired by the traditional fattoush, this out-of-the-box salmon dish is fresh, lemony and full of...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]