Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
By yasmine • September 3, 2018
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet.
The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are not obligatory but they add extra nutritional values and a stronger flavor to the spinach.
Serve your spinach next to white or brown rice, freekeh, or crispy baladi bread.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large red onion (diced) - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tomatoes (finely chopped) - طماطم
- 400 gram spinach - سبانخ
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock (OR hot water with extra salt & pepper) - مرقة دجاج
- 2 tablespoon dill (finely chopped) - شبت
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in medium pot. Fry diced red onions for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally then follow with tomatoes.
- Season with all spice, salt and pepper then stir in the spinach.
- Add chicken broth and bring it to a boil. Lower heat and cover pot. Let spinach cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Five minutes before taking it off the heat, add chopped herbs and stir.
- Serve in a deep serving dish next to rice or crispy bread.
Hearty Harira Soup
الوصفة بالعربي My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my...
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Tropical Fruit Salad
The tropical fruit salad is not just refreshing on a hot summer day, but it also elevates a simple...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]