Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
By shahdan • April 3, 2017
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It cooks in no time and is absolutely delicious for both kids and grown-ups. I like to serve it with white Basmati Rice and steamed vegetables.
Coconut cream thickens the sauce without the need to add any starch, however if you can’t find it, you can always use coconut milk, and thicken the sauce using about 2 teaspoons corn flour mixed in 3 tablespoons of cold water after adding the coconut milk.
I always keep fresh ginger in the freezer to grate in my Asian dishes, but if you don’t have, you can always substitute fresh ginger with a generous pinch of ground ginger. But in all cases, make sure you use good quality curry from a recently opened jar and make sure its not too spicy for your kids!
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 3/4 cup chicken broth/stock (or water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup coconut cream (250 ml) - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 5 sprig coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Marinate chicken cubes in salt, pepper, lime juice and garlic powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and cook chicken cubes on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Don't overcrowd your pan, divide into 2 batches for best results.
- Remove chicken and set aside. In the same pan, heat another tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion on low/medium heat until soft. Add garlic, ginger, curry and turmeric and stir.
- Return chicken and add stock or water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and stock is reduced a little bit.
- Add coconut cream and sugar, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Adjust salt and pepper especially if you are using water instead of stock.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with white basmati rice.
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet, creamy, and so heart-warming, what's a better winter warmer than home baked...
Hearty Sugar-Free Carrot Muffins
From 12 months. These Carrot Muffins are yummy and heartwarming for the whole family. I make them...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]