Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
By shahdan • April 3, 2017
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It cooks in no time and is absolutely delicious for both kids and grown-ups. I like to serve it with white Basmati Rice and steamed vegetables.
Coconut cream thickens the sauce without the need to add any starch, however if you can’t find it, you can always use coconut milk, and thicken the sauce using about 2 teaspoons corn flour mixed in 3 tablespoons of cold water after adding the coconut milk.
I always keep fresh ginger in the freezer to grate in my Asian dishes, but if you don’t have, you can always substitute fresh ginger with a generous pinch of ground ginger. But in all cases, make sure you use good quality curry from a recently opened jar and make sure its not too spicy for your kids!
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 3/4 cup chicken broth/stock (or water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup coconut cream (250 ml) - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 5 sprig coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Marinate chicken cubes in salt, pepper, lime juice and garlic powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and cook chicken cubes on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Don't overcrowd your pan, divide into 2 batches for best results.
- Remove chicken and set aside. In the same pan, heat another tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion on low/medium heat until soft. Add garlic, ginger, curry and turmeric and stir.
- Return chicken and add stock or water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and stock is reduced a little bit.
- Add coconut cream and sugar, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Adjust salt and pepper especially if you are using water instead of stock.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with white basmati rice.
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Avocado Caprese Salad
Colourful and super-tasty, this Caprese is served differently to cater for bigger crowds. In this...
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for the whole family or as a large main dish on its own. Enjoy its Asian flavors and the combination of crunchy veggies and moist yummy chicken.
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I like to serve it with white rice, steamed veggies and French fries (yes, not the lightest meal but the sauce tastes divine with the crispy fries). This meal is quick and fun – everyone enjoys.