Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
By shahdan • April 3, 2017
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It cooks in no time and is absolutely delicious for both kids and grown-ups. I like to serve it with white Basmati Rice and steamed vegetables.
Coconut cream thickens the sauce without the need to add any starch, however if you can’t find it, you can always use coconut milk, and thicken the sauce using about 2 teaspoons corn flour mixed in 3 tablespoons of cold water after adding the coconut milk.
I always keep fresh ginger in the freezer to grate in my Asian dishes, but if you don’t have, you can always substitute fresh ginger with a generous pinch of ground ginger. But in all cases, make sure you use good quality curry from a recently opened jar and make sure its not too spicy for your kids!
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 3/4 cup chicken broth/stock (or water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup coconut cream (250 ml) - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 5 sprig coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Marinate chicken cubes in salt, pepper, lime juice and garlic powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and cook chicken cubes on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Don't overcrowd your pan, divide into 2 batches for best results.
- Remove chicken and set aside. In the same pan, heat another tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion on low/medium heat until soft. Add garlic, ginger, curry and turmeric and stir.
- Return chicken and add stock or water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and stock is reduced a little bit.
- Add coconut cream and sugar, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Adjust salt and pepper especially if you are using water instead of stock.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with white basmati rice.
Raw Chocolate Whoopies with Banana Coconut Filling
It's nice to find a kids chocolate recipe that is sugar-free and that they would enjoy. These...
Japanese Beef & Spinach Rice Wraps: Soboro Onigirazu
This recipe is an entry to the #TheMeatCompete challenge which closes Dec 5, 2015. Click here to...
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]