Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
By shahdan • April 3, 2017
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It cooks in no time and is absolutely delicious for both kids and grown-ups. I like to serve it with white Basmati Rice and steamed vegetables.
Coconut cream thickens the sauce without the need to add any starch, however if you can’t find it, you can always use coconut milk, and thicken the sauce using about 2 teaspoons corn flour mixed in 3 tablespoons of cold water after adding the coconut milk.
I always keep fresh ginger in the freezer to grate in my Asian dishes, but if you don’t have, you can always substitute fresh ginger with a generous pinch of ground ginger. But in all cases, make sure you use good quality curry from a recently opened jar and make sure its not too spicy for your kids!
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 3/4 cup chicken broth/stock (or water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup coconut cream (250 ml) - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 5 sprig coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Marinate chicken cubes in salt, pepper, lime juice and garlic powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and cook chicken cubes on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Don't overcrowd your pan, divide into 2 batches for best results.
- Remove chicken and set aside. In the same pan, heat another tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion on low/medium heat until soft. Add garlic, ginger, curry and turmeric and stir.
- Return chicken and add stock or water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and stock is reduced a little bit.
- Add coconut cream and sugar, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Adjust salt and pepper especially if you are using water instead of stock.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with white basmati rice.
Hearty Sugar-Free Carrot Muffins
From 12 months. These Carrot Muffins are yummy and heartwarming for the whole family. I make them...
Easy Shrimp Curry
Recipe in Arabicالجمبرى بالكارى This shrimp curry is not only flavoursome...
Luscious White Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-pan.com This cake...
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection). In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.