Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
By shahdan • January 14, 2016
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and your loved ones – the ‘healthy’ way – with this special breakfast! One poached egg is served on a bed of freshly steamed spinach leaves, with a side of omega-3 rich smoked salmon, and finished off with some toasted pine nuts!
- 1 large egg - بيضة
- 4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 handful spinach - سبانخ
- 2 slice smoked salmon - سمك السلمون المدخن
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts (toasted) - صنوبر
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Toast pine nuts: Add pine nuts to a small dry pan and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat, while shaking the pan occasionally until golden. Set aside.
- To poach the egg: Boil water in the kettle. Pour the boiling water into a small to medium pot (it needs to be about three quarters full.)
- Add the vinegar to the water and leave the water to simmer and bubble over medium heat.
- In the meantime, gently break the egg in a small bowl.
- While the water and vinegar are simmering, make a swirl in the water using a spoon (as if your mixing the water). When the water is spinning around, gently tip in the egg. This helps the egg white cook around the egg yolk.
- Leave the egg to poach for 3 minutes only, if you like your egg yolk runny. (You will need to time it).
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the egg carefully and place it on kitchen tissue to drain.
- Wash spinach with fresh water, then place the wet leaves in a small pot over medium heat. Cover for 1- 2 minutes until spinach leaves are slightly wilted yet still look fresh and green.
- To assemble the dish: Arrange spinach on the serving plate. Carefully place poached egg over spinach then add smoked salmon on the side. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- Sprinkle sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really...
Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a...
No-Junk Kids’ Burger
If burger is a kids-favourite dish, why don’t we make it as healthy as we can? This burger bursts...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]