By shahdan • April 28, 2016
My friend prepared these for a kids party and they were a big hit! Both, kids and grown ups, loved them. Pizza pinwheels are also perfect for lunchbox and on the go! My kids love them and they enjoy baking them with me.
This recipe yields 12 pieces.
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 gram) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 2 tablespoon flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 2 small tomato - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 cup cheese (grated mozzarella and cheddar) - جبن
- 1 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 small egg - بيضة
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
Step by step
- Before you start, make sure the puff pastry is fully defrosted. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- To make the pizza sauce, chop tomatoes and blend them in a small food processor with the tomato paste until you reach a thick pizza sauce consistency. Set aside.
- Lightly dust your working surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out puff pastry into a rectangle shape (about 35x25 cm). The shape does not need to be perfect.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the dough (leaving 1cm borders clean). Don't use all the pizza sauce if you feel it is more than you need.
- Sprinkle the cheese and the oregano over the tomato sauce.
- Place the pizza vertically towards you, and roll up the dough from one end as tight as you can. For best results, cover and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into two, then slice each half into two so you end up with four equal-sized rolls. Cut each into three circles to have a total of 12 identical pinwheels.
- Arrange pinwheels on baking tray circle down making sure there is enough space between them. In a small bowl, beat the egg, and lightly brush the surfaces of pinwheels with eggs.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Let the baked pizza pinwheels cool for a few minutes, then arrange them on a serving dish and garnish with fresh basil.
Red Cabbage Warm Salad
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness...
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.