By shahdan • April 28, 2016
My friend prepared these for a kids party and they were a big hit! Both, kids and grown ups, loved them. Pizza pinwheels are also perfect for lunchbox and on the go! My kids love them and they enjoy baking them with me.
This recipe yields 12 pieces.
- 1 pack puff pastry (400 gram) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 2 tablespoon flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 2 small tomato - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 cup cheese (grated mozzarella and cheddar) - جبن
- 1 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 small egg - بيضة
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
Step by step
- Before you start, make sure the puff pastry is fully defrosted. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- To make the pizza sauce, chop tomatoes and blend them in a small food processor with the tomato paste until you reach a thick pizza sauce consistency. Set aside.
- Lightly dust your working surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out puff pastry into a rectangle shape (about 35x25 cm). The shape does not need to be perfect.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the dough (leaving 1cm borders clean). Don't use all the pizza sauce if you feel it is more than you need.
- Sprinkle the cheese and the oregano over the tomato sauce.
- Place the pizza vertically towards you, and roll up the dough from one end as tight as you can. For best results, cover and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into two, then slice each half into two so you end up with four equal-sized rolls. Cut each into three circles to have a total of 12 identical pinwheels.
- Arrange pinwheels on baking tray circle down making sure there is enough space between them. In a small bowl, beat the egg, and lightly brush the surfaces of pinwheels with eggs.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Let the baked pizza pinwheels cool for a few minutes, then arrange them on a serving dish and garnish with fresh basil.
Gluten-Free Green Goodness Chicken Sandwich
Pile this delicous creamy gluten-free chicken sandwich with all your favorite chemical-free greens,...
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone's favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes...
Honey Cinnamon Toasties
From 12 months. Make your kids happy with those yummy sweet toasties. Healthy, super simple, and...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]