Pesto Baked Mussels
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
This is one of my favorite dishes at one of those pot mussels restaurants. It is so simple yet filling and makes an amazingly festive and elegant appetizer at home. You can make it using your homemade pesto sauce or a store bought option – both work fine. You can also replace the parmesan with shredded mozzarella if that’s what you have.
You can make our simplest and favorite homemade fresh basil pesto sauce by mixing the following in a food processor –
1 bunch of basil leaves
3 garlic cloves
1 handful pine nuts
then add about 1/2 cup olive oil and salt and pepper. You can also add some parmesan before the oil.
- 1 kg mussels (half-shell open mussels - sold frozen) - بلح البحر
- 200 gram pesto sauce (about 1 cup) - صلصة الريحان
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (about 100g - finely grated) - جبنة بارميزان
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) - صنوبر
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a large oven tray with parchment paper.
- Wash the frozen (or fresh) open mussels then place them in a bowl with hot boiling water for 10 minutes. This helps clean them and also start the cooking process.
- Drain the muscles again and place them shell down on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- With a teaspoon, put some pesto sauce on the meat of each mussel shell (about 1-1.5 teaspoon of pesto depending on mussel size).
- Then sprinkle about a teaspoon of grated parmesan over each piece. End it with 3 to 4 pieces of raw pine nuts (they will roast in the oven).
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and pine nuts are toasted. Serve warm.
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
Home-Made Teriyaki Sauce
Once you try this recipe, you will never buy ready-made Teriyaki sauce again. It is incredibly easy...
The traditional homemade Egyptian kofta is just so simple to prepare and always a winner on the...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]