Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat.
I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can use any white fish you like such as sea bass (قاروص), for example. And don’t forget to ask your fishmonger to open and clean the fish for you.
I boil the potatoes before adding them to the fish tray, so they finish cooking together.
- 4 fish (whole sea bream). دنيس - سمك
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus one extra drizzle) - زيت زيتون
- 4 medium garlic cloves (thinly sliced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 small spring onion (thinly sliced - plus 2 extra for garnish) - بصلة خضراء
- 4 large lime (plus extra sliced for garnish) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- For the potatoes:
- 3 medium potatoes - بطاطس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) - بودرة ثوم
Step by step
- To prepare the fish marinade, mix the following in a jar: olive oil, juice of 4 limes, garlic slices, spring onion slices, chopped coriander, sea salt and black pepper. Close the jar firmly and shake to mix.
- Score three cuts on every fish, then use your hands to rub the marinade all over the fish, inside it, and in the cuts. Arrange on baking tray and leave to marinade in the fridge until you boil the potatoes.
- Cover the whole unpeeled potatoes with water and let them boil until soft (depending on their size). You might need a knife to test the softness of the potatoes.
- Drain potatoes and slice (unpeeled) into medium thick circles. Season with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and garlic powder (optional).
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Arrange potato slices under the fish. Garnish fish with lime slices, and any leftover spring onions and coriander. Add a final drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cover tray with foil and bake in a preheated 180C oven for 20-30 minutes depending on fish size then uncover and bake until fish is white and flakey.
Rolled Walnut Baklava
الوصفة بالعربي Perfect for entertaining, delicate and crispy, this rolled baklava is...
Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
Nothing in your child's lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef...
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]