Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat.
I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can use any white fish you like such as sea bass (قاروص), for example. And don’t forget to ask your fishmonger to open and clean the fish for you.
I boil the potatoes before adding them to the fish tray, so they finish cooking together.
- 4 fish (whole sea bream). دنيس - سمك
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus one extra drizzle) - زيت زيتون
- 4 medium garlic cloves (thinly sliced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 small spring onion (thinly sliced - plus 2 extra for garnish) - بصلة خضراء
- 4 large lime (plus extra sliced for garnish) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- For the potatoes:
- 3 medium potatoes - بطاطس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) - بودرة ثوم
Step by step
- To prepare the fish marinade, mix the following in a jar: olive oil, juice of 4 limes, garlic slices, spring onion slices, chopped coriander, sea salt and black pepper. Close the jar firmly and shake to mix.
- Score three cuts on every fish, then use your hands to rub the marinade all over the fish, inside it, and in the cuts. Arrange on baking tray and leave to marinade in the fridge until you boil the potatoes.
- Cover the whole unpeeled potatoes with water and let them boil until soft (depending on their size). You might need a knife to test the softness of the potatoes.
- Drain potatoes and slice (unpeeled) into medium thick circles. Season with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and garlic powder (optional).
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Arrange potato slices under the fish. Garnish fish with lime slices, and any leftover spring onions and coriander. Add a final drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cover tray with foil and bake in a preheated 180C oven for 20-30 minutes depending on fish size then uncover and bake until fish is white and flakey.
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Vietnamese Spring Vegetables Soft Rolls
This is the ultimate summer appetiser! Full of crunch and freshness and oh so good for you. You can...
Mahshi Koronb (Stuffed Cabbage) Made Simple
Even though I love cooking and I have a passion for traditional Egyptian food, Mahshi Koronb...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]