Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat.
I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can use any white fish you like such as sea bass (قاروص), for example. And don’t forget to ask your fishmonger to open and clean the fish for you.
I boil the potatoes before adding them to the fish tray, so they finish cooking together.
- 4 fish (whole sea bream). دنيس - سمك
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus one extra drizzle) - زيت زيتون
- 4 medium garlic cloves (thinly sliced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 small spring onion (thinly sliced - plus 2 extra for garnish) - بصلة خضراء
- 4 large lime (plus extra sliced for garnish) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- For the potatoes:
- 3 medium potatoes - بطاطس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) - بودرة ثوم
Step by step
- To prepare the fish marinade, mix the following in a jar: olive oil, juice of 4 limes, garlic slices, spring onion slices, chopped coriander, sea salt and black pepper. Close the jar firmly and shake to mix.
- Score three cuts on every fish, then use your hands to rub the marinade all over the fish, inside it, and in the cuts. Arrange on baking tray and leave to marinade in the fridge until you boil the potatoes.
- Cover the whole unpeeled potatoes with water and let them boil until soft (depending on their size). You might need a knife to test the softness of the potatoes.
- Drain potatoes and slice (unpeeled) into medium thick circles. Season with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and garlic powder (optional).
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Arrange potato slices under the fish. Garnish fish with lime slices, and any leftover spring onions and coriander. Add a final drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cover tray with foil and bake in a preheated 180C oven for 20-30 minutes depending on fish size then uncover and bake until fish is white and flakey.
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Grain-free Almond Bread
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple recipe for grain-free bread made with almonds and...
Most Aromatic Chicken Stock
There are lots of ways to preparing a good homemade chicken stock, yet this recipe must be the...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]