Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
By shahdan • December 16, 2015
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy to prepare, and it is one of those forgotten appetizers that can turn any gathering into something cozy and special. Prepare some for the next get-together, and have your friends rave about it!
- 500 gram lupini - ترمس
- 500 gram chickpeas - حمص
- salt (to taste) - ملح
- 5 medium lime (or to taste) - ليمون بلدي
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional) - كمون
Step by step
- Wash the lupini beans, then cover with at least twice as much water if not more. In a seperate bowl, do the same with the chickpeas. Leave the lupini beans and the cheackpeas to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the lupini beans using a collander or sieve. Wash the lupinis with fresh running water, then cover them with fresh room-temperature water in a pot and place the pot on medium to high heat. Follow the exact same steps for the chickpeas.
- For the lupini beans, you need to turn off the heat as soon as the water boils. Leave the beans to cool in its water then add salt to taste. Transfer the lupini beans and its water to a sealable box and place it in the fridge. Add lemon and cumin to taste before serving.
- The chickpeas need a slightly longer time to cook. When the water boils, lower the heat to medium and leave it to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or more. You will need to try one, to make sure it's soft and nicely cooked. Leave the chickpeas to cool before you transfer them with the water into a sealable fridge box. Add salt, cumin, and lime juice to taste before serving.
Salted Pretzel Rocky Road Bites
This recipe is adapted from Nigella Lawson's famous Rocky Road Crunch Bars. For the love of...
Fresh Coriander & Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy this salad with CairoCooking's Asian dishes. With super simple ingredients, this...
Oven-Baked Herb Fish
To add more fish to your weekly meals, try this hassle-free Oven-Baked Herb Fish recipe! In less...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.