Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
By shahdan • December 16, 2015
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy to prepare, and it is one of those forgotten appetizers that can turn any gathering into something cozy and special. Prepare some for the next get-together, and have your friends rave about it!
- 500 gram lupini - ترمس
- 500 gram chickpeas - حمص
- salt (to taste) - ملح
- 5 medium lime (or to taste) - ليمون بلدي
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional) - كمون
Step by step
- Wash the lupini beans, then cover with at least twice as much water if not more. In a seperate bowl, do the same with the chickpeas. Leave the lupini beans and the cheackpeas to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the lupini beans using a collander or sieve. Wash the lupinis with fresh running water, then cover them with fresh room-temperature water in a pot and place the pot on medium to high heat. Follow the exact same steps for the chickpeas.
- For the lupini beans, you need to turn off the heat as soon as the water boils. Leave the beans to cool in its water then add salt to taste. Transfer the lupini beans and its water to a sealable box and place it in the fridge. Add lemon and cumin to taste before serving.
- The chickpeas need a slightly longer time to cook. When the water boils, lower the heat to medium and leave it to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or more. You will need to try one, to make sure it's soft and nicely cooked. Leave the chickpeas to cool before you transfer them with the water into a sealable fridge box. Add salt, cumin, and lime juice to taste before serving.
Zesty Orange Shrimps with Apples & Peas Purée
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. This is my own...
Chicken Strips with Pickled Lemon Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي A new take on chicken that is not just lovely when you're cooking for...
Soft Shrimp Rolls
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want...
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat… and all you really need is good quality dark chocolate and raw almonds.
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]