Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
By shahdan • December 16, 2015
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy to prepare, and it is one of those forgotten appetizers that can turn any gathering into something cozy and special. Prepare some for the next get-together, and have your friends rave about it!
- 500 gram lupini - ترمس
- 500 gram chickpeas - حمص
- salt (to taste) - ملح
- 5 medium lime (or to taste) - ليمون بلدي
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional) - كمون
Step by step
- Wash the lupini beans, then cover with at least twice as much water if not more. In a seperate bowl, do the same with the chickpeas. Leave the lupini beans and the cheackpeas to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the lupini beans using a collander or sieve. Wash the lupinis with fresh running water, then cover them with fresh room-temperature water in a pot and place the pot on medium to high heat. Follow the exact same steps for the chickpeas.
- For the lupini beans, you need to turn off the heat as soon as the water boils. Leave the beans to cool in its water then add salt to taste. Transfer the lupini beans and its water to a sealable box and place it in the fridge. Add lemon and cumin to taste before serving.
- The chickpeas need a slightly longer time to cook. When the water boils, lower the heat to medium and leave it to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or more. You will need to try one, to make sure it's soft and nicely cooked. Leave the chickpeas to cool before you transfer them with the water into a sealable fridge box. Add salt, cumin, and lime juice to taste before serving.
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe...
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat… and all you really need is good quality dark chocolate and raw almonds.
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]