Oregano & Sumac Chicken with Classic Freekeh
By shahdan • April 5, 2017
Oregano & sumac marinated chicken breast fillets are served on a bed of nutritious freekeh, and drizzled with sweet and tangy pomegranate molasses, with a side of fragrant minted yoghurt. This is a delicious meal ready in only 30 minutes.
To cook the chicken quickly and evenly, ask your butcher to cut every chicken breast into 2 thin fillets.
For best results marinate overnight. The chicken is still delicious when marinated and cooked instantly.
- 4 medium chicken breast fillet (each cut into 2 thin fillets) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 teaspoon sumac - سماق
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 4 cup vegetable stock (warm) - مرقة خضار
- 1 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
- 6 leaves mint (optional for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 cup yoghurt - زبادي
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Marinate the chicken with vinegar, mustard, oregano, sumac and garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To cook the freekeh, wash throughly with running water. Then sauté minced onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft. Add freekeh and stir followed by the heated stock. Cover the pot and leave to simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet, heat the remaining olive oil. Cook chicken fillets for a few minutes on one side, flip, squeeze lime over it and cook the other side and let it cook through.
- Mix yoghurt with dried mint and transfer to a small serving bowl.
- In a small pan, toast pine nuts for a couple of minutes on low heat until golden.
- Transfer the freekeh to a large serving platter and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and fresh mint leaves. Arrange chicken next to the freekeh and drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Serve immediately with minted yoghurt and fresh lemon wedges.
Blue Cheese Roasted Figs
Figs season is here and its time to get creative! This is a great sweet and sour recipe for those...
Mahshi Koronb (Stuffed Cabbage) Made Simple
Even though I love cooking and I have a passion for traditional Egyptian food, Mahshi Koronb...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]