Oregano & Sumac Chicken with Classic Freekeh
By shahdan • April 5, 2017
Oregano & sumac marinated chicken breast fillets are served on a bed of nutritious freekeh, and drizzled with sweet and tangy pomegranate molasses, with a side of fragrant minted yoghurt. This is a delicious meal ready in only 30 minutes.
To cook the chicken quickly and evenly, ask your butcher to cut every chicken breast into 2 thin fillets.
For best results marinate overnight. The chicken is still delicious when marinated and cooked instantly.
- 4 medium chicken breast fillet (each cut into 2 thin fillets) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 teaspoon sumac - سماق
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 3 1/3 cup vegetable stock (warm) - مرقة خضار
- 1 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 drizzle pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
- 6 leaves mint (optional for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 cup yoghurt - زبادي
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Marinate the chicken with vinegar, mustard, oregano, sumac and garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To cook the freekeh, wash throughly with running water. Then sauté minced onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft. Add freekeh and stir followed by the heated stock. Cover the pot and leave to simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet, heat the remaining olive oil. Cook chicken fillets for a few minutes on one side, flip, squeeze lime over it and cook the other side and let it cook through.
- Mix yoghurt with dried mint and transfer to a small serving bowl.
- In a small pan, toast pine nuts for a couple of minutes on low heat until golden.
- Transfer the freekeh to a large serving platter and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and fresh mint leaves. Arrange chicken next to the freekeh and drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Serve immediately with minted yoghurt and fresh lemon wedges.
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone's favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes...
Eat Your Rainbow: Eggplant Dip
It's a lot like the Lebanese ElRaheb but more neutral in taste. It's great to have as a dip or a...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]