Nutritious Cheesy Rosemary Crackers
By yasmine • August 23, 2015
Your house will smell like a bakery in the morning with these small crunchy savoury treats. Imagine you bake your own crackers making sure it has all these nutritional carbs and making it entirely your own recipe once you master preparing it. You can keep them up to a week in a sealed container and have your kids munching through them wether as a snack at school or between sports practices. They are also a great addition to your gatherings as a home-made cracker next to your dips.
You can substitute the mozzarella with shredded cheddar, parmesan mixed in, or smoked cheese while also substituting the rosemary with oregano or basil. That way you can play around with it to find your perfect kiddie or grown up version.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour - دقيق القمح الكامل
- 1/2 cup oats (blended until it's a fine powder OR oatmeal) - شوفان
- 2 tablespoon wheat germ (optional) - جنين القمح
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded) - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1-2 tablespoon rosemary (finely chopped - to taste) - روزماري/ إكليل الجبل
- 1 pinch salt - ملح
- 1/4 cup olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water (or a bit more) - ماء
Step by step
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, oats, salt, rosemary, wheat germ) and place them in a blender.
- In another bowl, mix oil and water with the cheese.
- Add wet mix to the blender bit by bit while you pulse the blender. Once you have mixed all together it should start forming a ball as you pulse. You may need to add more water if its too dry.
- Dust a clean surface with some flour, and roll out the dough to a 1/2cm thickness. Use stencils to cut out round forms or a knife to cut horizontally and vertically creating squares.
- Place your individual raw crackers on the baking sheet with little space between them (they do not grow in size). Place it in the oven for about 12 minutes or until they turn golden.
- Remove crackers carefully from baking tray and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Butter & Garlic Roasted Carrots
Baby carrots are around all Egyptian farmers' markets and big supermarkets these days, inspiring...
Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomatoes
The earthy flavour of lentils, the creaminess of goat cheese, and the sweetness of sun-dried...
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]