Brown Rice Mujaddara
By yasmine • May 17, 2019
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal.
We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils.
Serve it with a simple green salad with added radish and mint – like this one.
- 1 cup basmati brown rice - أرز بسمتى بنى
- 1.5 brown lentils - عدس بني
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)) - زيت زيتون
- 4 onions (1 diced + 3 sliced) - بصل
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 cinnamon sticks - عيدان قرفة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup hot water (you can also use broth) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon mint (finely chopped - optional) - نعناع
Step by step
- Wash basmati brown rice under running water then soak it in water for only 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the lentils under running water and place them in a small pot covered with water. Bring it to the boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for only 10 minutes.
- In larger pot, heat olive oil and fry diced onions until golden. Add bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon stick followed by the drained rice.
- Stir to cover the rice with the oil and spices then add the drained half-cooked lentils, followed by 2 cups of hot water. Season with salt and pepper.
- As it comes to a boil, lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons olive oil in large pan. Add sliced onions, salt and pepper and stir occasionally for 30 minutes until onions are browned and caramelized.
- As the rice lentil mix is cooked-through, stir in half the fried onions and keep the rest for garnish.
- Serve in a bowl, and garnish with the chopped parsley and mint. Consider preparing a simple tomato-cucumber salad next to it.
Beetroot & Goat Cheese Salad
The combination of beetroot and goat cheese is just heavenly. The honey-glazed almonds add...
Kiddie Yummy Cut Out Cookies
Fun and easy to prepare, these cookies will keep your kids entertained. With no sophisticated...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]