Brown Rice Mujaddara
By yasmine • May 17, 2019
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal.
We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils.
Serve it with a simple green salad with added radish and mint – like this one.
- 1 cup basmati brown rice - أرز بسمتى بنى
- 1.5 brown lentils - عدس بني
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)) - زيت زيتون
- 4 onions (1 diced + 3 sliced) - بصل
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 cinnamon sticks - عيدان قرفة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup hot water (you can also use broth) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon mint (finely chopped - optional) - نعناع
Step by step
- Wash basmati brown rice under running water then soak it in water for only 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the lentils under running water and place them in a small pot covered with water. Bring it to the boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for only 10 minutes.
- In larger pot, heat olive oil and fry diced onions until golden. Add bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon stick followed by the drained rice.
- Stir to cover the rice with the oil and spices then add the drained half-cooked lentils, followed by 2 cups of hot water. Season with salt and pepper.
- As it comes to a boil, lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons olive oil in large pan. Add sliced onions, salt and pepper and stir occasionally for 30 minutes until onions are browned and caramelized.
- As the rice lentil mix is cooked-through, stir in half the fried onions and keep the rest for garnish.
- Serve in a bowl, and garnish with the chopped parsley and mint. Consider preparing a simple tomato-cucumber salad next to it.
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the...
Entertaining Labna with Debs
الوصفة بالعربي This 2-ingredient appetizer is by far the easiest finger food you can...
Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]