Brown Rice Mujaddara
By yasmine • May 17, 2019
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal.
We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils.
Serve it with a simple green salad with added radish and mint – like this one.
- 1 cup basmati brown rice - أرز بسمتى بنى
- 1.5 brown lentils - عدس بني
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)) - زيت زيتون
- 4 onions (1 diced + 3 sliced) - بصل
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 cinnamon sticks - عيدان قرفة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup hot water (you can also use broth) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon mint (finely chopped - optional) - نعناع
Step by step
- Wash basmati brown rice under running water then soak it in water for only 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the lentils under running water and place them in a small pot covered with water. Bring it to the boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for only 10 minutes.
- In larger pot, heat olive oil and fry diced onions until golden. Add bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon stick followed by the drained rice.
- Stir to cover the rice with the oil and spices then add the drained half-cooked lentils, followed by 2 cups of hot water. Season with salt and pepper.
- As it comes to a boil, lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons olive oil in large pan. Add sliced onions, salt and pepper and stir occasionally for 30 minutes until onions are browned and caramelized.
- As the rice lentil mix is cooked-through, stir in half the fried onions and keep the rest for garnish.
- Serve in a bowl, and garnish with the chopped parsley and mint. Consider preparing a simple tomato-cucumber salad next to it.
Fresh Coriander & Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy this salad with CairoCooking's Asian dishes. With super simple ingredients, this...
Tasty Cauliflower Rice
This Tasty Cauliflower Rice is the best healthy replacement for rice. No one will believe this is...
Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Vegetable Curry
This is a perfect vegetarian option especially when you need a break from regular proteins. With...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]