Brown Rice Mujaddara
By yasmine • May 17, 2019
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal.
We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils.
Serve it with a simple green salad with added radish and mint – like this one.
- 1 cup basmati brown rice - أرز بسمتى بنى
- 1.5 brown lentils - عدس بني
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)) - زيت زيتون
- 4 onions (1 diced + 3 sliced) - بصل
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 cinnamon sticks - عيدان قرفة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup hot water (you can also use broth) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon mint (finely chopped - optional) - نعناع
Step by step
- Wash basmati brown rice under running water then soak it in water for only 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the lentils under running water and place them in a small pot covered with water. Bring it to the boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for only 10 minutes.
- In larger pot, heat olive oil and fry diced onions until golden. Add bay leaves, cumin and cinnamon stick followed by the drained rice.
- Stir to cover the rice with the oil and spices then add the drained half-cooked lentils, followed by 2 cups of hot water. Season with salt and pepper.
- As it comes to a boil, lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons olive oil in large pan. Add sliced onions, salt and pepper and stir occasionally for 30 minutes until onions are browned and caramelized.
- As the rice lentil mix is cooked-through, stir in half the fried onions and keep the rest for garnish.
- Serve in a bowl, and garnish with the chopped parsley and mint. Consider preparing a simple tomato-cucumber salad next to it.
Baked Greek Shrimps with Feta
This recipe is the winner of #MyBestDish cooking competition. Traditional Greek recipe, and...
Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
Comfort food at its best...this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so...
Yummy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Egyptian farmers are now growing all these new vegetables and greens that were earlier either...
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]