Mongolian Beef Strips
By yasmine • February 1, 2018
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection).
In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it is pan seared in a shallow oil pan. It is best not to overcrowd the pan to make sure each piece develops a nice crust.
The sauce thickens from the corn flour used for frying the beef strips but you can thicken it further by adding a teaspoon corn flour at the final steps.
- 500 gram beef (cut into thin strips) - لحمة
- 1/4 cup corn flour - نشا
- 6 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger - جنزبيل
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped white & green parts) - بصل أخضر
- 1/4 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (OR light soy sauce) - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
Step by step
- Place defrosted beef strips and corn flour in a medium zip lock or plastic bag and seal it. Use your hands to move the bag around to make sure all the strips are covered with corn flour.
- In the meantime, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- As the strips are coated, place each piece in the hot oil. Fry each piece for 2 minutes on each side then place it in a plate with absorbent tissue. You can fry on two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- In a medium bowl, add hot water, fish sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon corn flour if you prefer a thicker sauce. Stir well to dissolve the sugar and corn flour.
- In the same sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and the white parts of the green onion. Stir them for a couple of minutes until the garlic gains some color.
- Then add the hot water mix to the sauce pan and stir scarping the beef remains stuck in the pan. Add the beef strips back to the sauce pan. As the water boils, lower the heat and let it simmer and cook for another 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the green parts of the chopped green onion and stir one more time then take it off the heat. Serve it in a deep serving dish next to white rice.
Oregano & Sumac Chicken with Classic Freekeh
Oregano & sumac marinated chicken breast fillets are served on a bed of nutritious freekeh, and...
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Sweet Potato & Marshmallow Casserole
الوصفه بالعربي Delicious homemade combo of sweet potato, crumble and roasted...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]