Mongolian Beef Strips
By yasmine • February 1, 2018
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection).
In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it is pan seared in a shallow oil pan. It is best not to overcrowd the pan to make sure each piece develops a nice crust.
The sauce thickens from the corn flour used for frying the beef strips but you can thicken it further by adding a teaspoon corn flour at the final steps.
- 500 gram beef (cut into thin strips) - لحمة
- 1/4 cup corn flour - نشا
- 6 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger - جنزبيل
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped white & green parts) - بصل أخضر
- 1/4 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (OR light soy sauce) - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
Step by step
- Place defrosted beef strips and corn flour in a medium zip lock or plastic bag and seal it. Use your hands to move the bag around to make sure all the strips are covered with corn flour.
- In the meantime, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- As the strips are coated, place each piece in the hot oil. Fry each piece for 2 minutes on each side then place it in a plate with absorbent tissue. You can fry on two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- In a medium bowl, add hot water, fish sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon corn flour if you prefer a thicker sauce. Stir well to dissolve the sugar and corn flour.
- In the same sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and the white parts of the green onion. Stir them for a couple of minutes until the garlic gains some color.
- Then add the hot water mix to the sauce pan and stir scarping the beef remains stuck in the pan. Add the beef strips back to the sauce pan. As the water boils, lower the heat and let it simmer and cook for another 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the green parts of the chopped green onion and stir one more time then take it off the heat. Serve it in a deep serving dish next to white rice.
Green Caviar Dip
This recipe was a hit at one of my friend's gatherings and turns out she got this simple recipe...
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Special Minty Zucchini
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple yet delicious vegetable dish using ingredients...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.