Mongolian Beef Strips
By yasmine • February 1, 2018
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection).
In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it is pan seared in a shallow oil pan. It is best not to overcrowd the pan to make sure each piece develops a nice crust.
The sauce thickens from the corn flour used for frying the beef strips but you can thicken it further by adding a teaspoon corn flour at the final steps.
- 500 gram beef (cut into thin strips) - لحمة
- 1/4 cup corn flour - نشا
- 6 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger - جنزبيل
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped white & green parts) - بصل أخضر
- 1/4 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (OR light soy sauce) - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
Step by step
- Place defrosted beef strips and corn flour in a medium zip lock or plastic bag and seal it. Use your hands to move the bag around to make sure all the strips are covered with corn flour.
- In the meantime, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- As the strips are coated, place each piece in the hot oil. Fry each piece for 2 minutes on each side then place it in a plate with absorbent tissue. You can fry on two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- In a medium bowl, add hot water, fish sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon corn flour if you prefer a thicker sauce. Stir well to dissolve the sugar and corn flour.
- In the same sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and the white parts of the green onion. Stir them for a couple of minutes until the garlic gains some color.
- Then add the hot water mix to the sauce pan and stir scarping the beef remains stuck in the pan. Add the beef strips back to the sauce pan. As the water boils, lower the heat and let it simmer and cook for another 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the green parts of the chopped green onion and stir one more time then take it off the heat. Serve it in a deep serving dish next to white rice.
Simple Greens Chicken Broth
Nothing can replace a good homemade chicken broth. Prepare it in large quantities, freeze it, and...
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]