Mongolian Beef Strips
By yasmine • February 1, 2018
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection).
In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it is pan seared in a shallow oil pan. It is best not to overcrowd the pan to make sure each piece develops a nice crust.
The sauce thickens from the corn flour used for frying the beef strips but you can thicken it further by adding a teaspoon corn flour at the final steps.
- 500 gram beef (cut into thin strips) - لحمة
- 1/4 cup corn flour - نشا
- 6 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger - جنزبيل
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped white & green parts) - بصل أخضر
- 1/4 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (OR light soy sauce) - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
Step by step
- Place defrosted beef strips and corn flour in a medium zip lock or plastic bag and seal it. Use your hands to move the bag around to make sure all the strips are covered with corn flour.
- In the meantime, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- As the strips are coated, place each piece in the hot oil. Fry each piece for 2 minutes on each side then place it in a plate with absorbent tissue. You can fry on two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- In a medium bowl, add hot water, fish sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon corn flour if you prefer a thicker sauce. Stir well to dissolve the sugar and corn flour.
- In the same sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and the white parts of the green onion. Stir them for a couple of minutes until the garlic gains some color.
- Then add the hot water mix to the sauce pan and stir scarping the beef remains stuck in the pan. Add the beef strips back to the sauce pan. As the water boils, lower the heat and let it simmer and cook for another 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the green parts of the chopped green onion and stir one more time then take it off the heat. Serve it in a deep serving dish next to white rice.
Vermicelli with Almonds
Vermicelli with Almonds (she'reya) has always been an important dish on my family's dinner party-...
Popcorn Granola Trailmix
Your kids will love this Popcorn Granola Trailmix in their lunchbox. It is also so nutritious and...
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for the whole family or as a large main dish on its own. Enjoy its Asian flavors and the combination of crunchy veggies and moist yummy chicken.
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I like to serve it with white rice, steamed veggies and French fries (yes, not the lightest meal but the sauce tastes divine with the crispy fries). This meal is quick and fun – everyone enjoys.