Mongolian Beef Strips
By yasmine • February 1, 2018
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection).
In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it is pan seared in a shallow oil pan. It is best not to overcrowd the pan to make sure each piece develops a nice crust.
The sauce thickens from the corn flour used for frying the beef strips but you can thicken it further by adding a teaspoon corn flour at the final steps.
- 500 gram beef (cut into thin strips) - لحمة
- 1/4 cup corn flour - نشا
- 6 tablespoon olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger - جنزبيل
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped white & green parts) - بصل أخضر
- 1/4 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (OR light soy sauce) - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
Step by step
- Place defrosted beef strips and corn flour in a medium zip lock or plastic bag and seal it. Use your hands to move the bag around to make sure all the strips are covered with corn flour.
- In the meantime, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- As the strips are coated, place each piece in the hot oil. Fry each piece for 2 minutes on each side then place it in a plate with absorbent tissue. You can fry on two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- In a medium bowl, add hot water, fish sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon corn flour if you prefer a thicker sauce. Stir well to dissolve the sugar and corn flour.
- In the same sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and the white parts of the green onion. Stir them for a couple of minutes until the garlic gains some color.
- Then add the hot water mix to the sauce pan and stir scarping the beef remains stuck in the pan. Add the beef strips back to the sauce pan. As the water boils, lower the heat and let it simmer and cook for another 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the green parts of the chopped green onion and stir one more time then take it off the heat. Serve it in a deep serving dish next to white rice.
Special Minty Zucchini
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple yet delicious vegetable dish using ingredients...
Hearty Sugar-Free Carrot Muffins
From 12 months. These Carrot Muffins are yummy and heartwarming for the whole family. I make them...
Fruit & Oats Cinnamon Nibbling Cake
From 12 months. Everyone loves cake. It is comforting, sweet and soft to the taste. Toddlers at...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]