Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Quinoa
By shahdan • February 19, 2017
The Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa is a perfect warm salad, side dish to your favourite protein, or a main vegan dish on its own. It is also a great option for the lunchbox. It is packed with super nutritious everyday ingredients and full of different textures, and deep flavours leaving you craving for more.
- 1 large eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced) - كوسة
- 2 large bell peppers (red & yellow) - فلفل ملون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 cup quinoa - كينوا
- 2 cup water - ماء
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts - صنوبر
- 2 tablespoon parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 handful baby spinach (or regular baladi spinach) - سبانخ صغيرة
- 1/2 can chickpeas (half 400 gram can) - حمص
- 4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar - الخل البلسمي
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Slice the eggplants and zucchini into medium-thick circles. Cut bell peppers into strips. Mix olive oil with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and minced garlic. Rub cut veggies with the olive oil mix.
- Arrange the veggies as a single layer on a roasting pan and place in a 180C oven for 30 minutes, turning the veggies half way through, until soft.
- Wash quinoa, then place it in a medium pot covered with water and bring it to a boil. When it boils, lower heat to a minimum, cover and leave to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. It is done when the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, toast pine nuts in a dry pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes, shaking the pan occassionaly. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, mix balsamic vinegar with pomegranate molasses in a small jar and shake.
- Make sure roasted vegetables and quinoa have cooled a little before assembling so the spinach and parsley stay green and fresh.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Add roasted vegetables, chickpeas, chopped parsley and hand-torn spinach. Gently mix. Drizzle dressing, and sprinkle pine nuts on top.
The Freshest Greens-Based Stock
This recipe is based on my daily green juice greens and veggies. This stock can be used when...
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Homemade Roast Beef Toasties
The key to preparing these healthy kid-friendly lunchbox toasties, is to use a cucumber peeler to...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]