Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
By yasmine • June 1, 2016
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You can replace the meat filling with white cheese & mint, spinach, or a mix of spinach and minced meat.
Meat Goulash is always a great addition to gatherings’ dining table and is usually one of the first dishes to vanish.
- 1 pack filo pastry - جلاش
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon butter (about 50g - melted) - زبدة
- 1/4 cup milk - لبن
- 1 egg - بيضة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the minced meat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium pot and fry minced onions until slightly yellow. Stir in minced meat and salt and pepper. Let it cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Mix the rest of the olive oil with melted butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large oven dish or pyrex, put the first sheet of filo pastry (goulash). Brush it with the butter & milk mix, then add another sheet and brush again. Repeat until you have 5 sheets of filo pastry at the bottom of the pyrex.
- Spread the minced meat evenly on top, leaving half a cm from all sides around the edges.
- Add another filo sheet and brush it with the butter & milk mixture. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets. Before brushing the top layer, whisk an egg with the butter & milk mix. Thoroughly brush the top layer with it. Then tuck the sides of the top layer down the edges of the oven dish to partially close the sides of the pie.
- Cut the pie into even squares (about 5cm x 5cm) before you place it in the oven. That way you will avoid cracking it or cutting it unevenly after it bakes.
- Place the oven dish in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to cook evenly. If the top doesn't turn golden, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes before taking out of the oven. Serve it warm.
Watermelon Ice Popsicles
On a hot summer's day, what's better than a watermelon ice popsicle? Fresh green kiwi (loaded...
Rolled Walnut Baklava
الوصفة بالعربي Perfect for entertaining, delicate and crispy, this rolled baklava is...
Blue Cheese Roasted Figs
Figs season is here and its time to get creative! This is a great sweet and sour recipe for those...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.