Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
By yasmine • June 1, 2016
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You can replace the meat filling with white cheese & mint, spinach, or a mix of spinach and minced meat.
Meat Goulash is always a great addition to gatherings’ dining table and is usually one of the first dishes to vanish.
- 1 pack filo pastry - جلاش
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon butter (about 50g - melted) - زبدة
- 1/4 cup milk - لبن
- 1 egg - بيضة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the minced meat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium pot and fry minced onions until slightly yellow. Stir in minced meat and salt and pepper. Let it cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Mix the rest of the olive oil with melted butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large oven dish or pyrex, put the first sheet of filo pastry (goulash). Brush it with the butter & milk mix, then add another sheet and brush again. Repeat until you have 5 sheets of filo pastry at the bottom of the pyrex.
- Spread the minced meat evenly on top, leaving half a cm from all sides around the edges.
- Add another filo sheet and brush it with the butter & milk mixture. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets. Before brushing the top layer, whisk an egg with the butter & milk mix. Thoroughly brush the top layer with it. Then tuck the sides of the top layer down the edges of the oven dish to partially close the sides of the pie.
- Cut the pie into even squares (about 5cm x 5cm) before you place it in the oven. That way you will avoid cracking it or cutting it unevenly after it bakes.
- Place the oven dish in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to cook evenly. If the top doesn't turn golden, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes before taking out of the oven. Serve it warm.
Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
Nothing in your child's lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef...
Roasted Beets & Carrot Soup
الوصفة بالعربي In season, summer root vegetables marry well together, creating a...
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet, creamy, and so heart-warming, what's a better winter warmer than home baked...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]