Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
By yasmine • June 1, 2016
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You can replace the meat filling with white cheese & mint, spinach, or a mix of spinach and minced meat.
Meat Goulash is always a great addition to gatherings’ dining table and is usually one of the first dishes to vanish.
- 1 pack filo pastry - جلاش
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 small onion - بصلة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 tablespoon butter (about 50g - melted) - زبدة
- 1/4 cup milk - لبن
- 1 egg - بيضة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the minced meat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium pot and fry minced onions until slightly yellow. Stir in minced meat and salt and pepper. Let it cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Mix the rest of the olive oil with melted butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large oven dish or pyrex, put the first sheet of filo pastry (goulash). Brush it with the butter & milk mix, then add another sheet and brush again. Repeat until you have 5 sheets of filo pastry at the bottom of the pyrex.
- Spread the minced meat evenly on top, leaving half a cm from all sides around the edges.
- Add another filo sheet and brush it with the butter & milk mixture. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets. Before brushing the top layer, whisk an egg with the butter & milk mix. Thoroughly brush the top layer with it. Then tuck the sides of the top layer down the edges of the oven dish to partially close the sides of the pie.
- Cut the pie into even squares (about 5cm x 5cm) before you place it in the oven. That way you will avoid cracking it or cutting it unevenly after it bakes.
- Place the oven dish in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes to cook evenly. If the top doesn't turn golden, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes before taking out of the oven. Serve it warm.
Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding...
Sesame Beef Stir-Fry
This is a straight-forward stir- fry recipe. It doesn’t need complicated ingredients except maybe...
Creamy Avocado Hummus
Healthy, nutritious and full of delicious flavours, the Creamy Avocado Hummus dip will be your new...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.