Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just cook the shawerma and prepare the tahini sauce in advance, then store in the fridge. In the morning, you can decide wether to serve this chicken shawerma in small buns or in tortilla wraps!
This quantity will make about 6 sandwiches (depending on the bread you will use). If you want to make a larger quantity for the whole family, double the quantity and use 1.5 kg chicken!
For best results, marinate chicken for a couple of hours or overnight!
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped OR juice of 2 limes) - ليمون معصفر
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- FOR THE TAHINI SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2-3 tablespoon water - ماء
- pinch ground cumin - كمون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, slice the chicken into thin shawerma slices. You can also buy the chicken sliced from your butcher.
- Marinate chicken slices with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, minced garlic, pickled lemon (or lime juice), sliced onion, salt and pepper. Cover and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours or for best results, overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add chicken slices and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Take Shawerma off the heat, then add cubed tomatoes and chopped parsley.
- Let it cool, then place it in a sealed box in the fridge to use when needed as a sandwich filler.
- For the tahini sauce, mix tahini with yoghurt, and vinegar. Gradually add water and stir until you achieve the needed consistency. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Store in another small sealed box in the fridge. Use the sauce to spread over the bread before filling the Shawarma sandwich. The Tahini might slightly thicken when stored in the fridge. You can add a few drops of water and stir, to make it thinner.
Butter & Garlic Roasted Carrots
Baby carrots are around all Egyptian farmers' markets and big supermarkets these days, inspiring...
Seared Tuna Salad
It's filling, fast, low calorie and delicious for seafood lovers! Recipe submitted by Sarah...
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]