Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just cook the shawerma and prepare the tahini sauce in advance, then store in the fridge. In the morning, you can decide wether to serve this chicken shawerma in small buns or in tortilla wraps!
This quantity will make about 6 sandwiches (depending on the bread you will use). If you want to make a larger quantity for the whole family, double the quantity and use 1.5 kg chicken!
For best results, marinate chicken for a couple of hours or overnight!
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped OR juice of 2 limes) - ليمون معصفر
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- FOR THE TAHINI SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2-3 tablespoon water - ماء
- pinch ground cumin - كمون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, slice the chicken into thin shawerma slices. You can also buy the chicken sliced from your butcher.
- Marinate chicken slices with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, minced garlic, pickled lemon (or lime juice), sliced onion, salt and pepper. Cover and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours or for best results, overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add chicken slices and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Take Shawerma off the heat, then add cubed tomatoes and chopped parsley.
- Let it cool, then place it in a sealed box in the fridge to use when needed as a sandwich filler.
- For the tahini sauce, mix tahini with yoghurt, and vinegar. Gradually add water and stir until you achieve the needed consistency. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Store in another small sealed box in the fridge. Use the sauce to spread over the bread before filling the Shawarma sandwich. The Tahini might slightly thicken when stored in the fridge. You can add a few drops of water and stir, to make it thinner.
Caramel Cheesecake Topped with Chocolate Shavings
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Homemade rich...
Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that's due to the prolonged...
Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Vegetable Curry
This is a perfect vegetarian option especially when you need a break from regular proteins. With...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]