Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just cook the shawerma and prepare the tahini sauce in advance, then store in the fridge. In the morning, you can decide wether to serve this chicken shawerma in small buns or in tortilla wraps!
This quantity will make about 6 sandwiches (depending on the bread you will use). If you want to make a larger quantity for the whole family, double the quantity and use 1.5 kg chicken!
For best results, marinate chicken for a couple of hours or overnight!
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped OR juice of 2 limes) - ليمون معصفر
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- FOR THE TAHINI SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2-3 tablespoon water - ماء
- pinch ground cumin - كمون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, slice the chicken into thin shawerma slices. You can also buy the chicken sliced from your butcher.
- Marinate chicken slices with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, minced garlic, pickled lemon (or lime juice), sliced onion, salt and pepper. Cover and place it in the fridge for a couple of hours or for best results, overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add chicken slices and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Take Shawerma off the heat, then add cubed tomatoes and chopped parsley.
- Let it cool, then place it in a sealed box in the fridge to use when needed as a sandwich filler.
- For the tahini sauce, mix tahini with yoghurt, and vinegar. Gradually add water and stir until you achieve the needed consistency. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Store in another small sealed box in the fridge. Use the sauce to spread over the bread before filling the Shawarma sandwich. The Tahini might slightly thicken when stored in the fridge. You can add a few drops of water and stir, to make it thinner.
Delicious Breakfast: Millet Porridge with Dates & Blueberries
Millet has replaced oats in my book for some time now. I love the texture of it, it tastes more...
Guiltless Granola Bars
These Guiltless Granola Bars are the perfect snack. It is crunchy, semi-sweet and...
Roasted Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي The Roasted Turmeric Chicken has bold flavours, vibrant colours, moist...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]