Light Vegetarian Moussaka
By yasmine • April 5, 2016
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a touch of cinnamon that complements the sweetness of the tomatoes making the sauce absolutely delicious. The eggplants are cooked to perfection without the extra oil, while the raisins bind all flavours together to give you the lightest and most flavourful Egyptian Moussaka.
- 1 kg tomato (peeled & cut in chunks) - طماطم
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 5-6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 eggplant (cut in thin round slices) - باذنجان رومي
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon oregano (chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful raisins - زبيب
Step by step
- In a medium pot, heat only 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onions for about 5 minutes then stir in minced garlic.
- In the meantime, blend tomatoes into juice and add it to the pot. Add hot water, salt & pepper, oregano, cinnamon and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Let it simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the tomato sauce thickens. Discard the bay leaves.
- In the meantime, heat the rest of the olive oil and pan-fry the eggplants for 2 minutes on each side or until slightly golden. Place them on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To layer the moussaka, cover one 30cm round or 20x40cm rectangular oven dish or pyrex with a layer of eggplants. Pour half the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant layer and sprinkle half the raisins. Add another layer of eggplant slices followed by the rest of the tomato sauce and raisins.
- Place the oven dish in the oven for 15 minutes to cook the eggplants through. Serve it warm or cold next to rice or some baladi bread.
Sweet Potato & Marshmallow Casserole
الوصفه بالعربي Delicious homemade combo of sweet potato, crumble and roasted...
Nutritious Cheesy Rosemary Crackers
الوصفة بالعربي Your house will smell like a bakery in the morning with these small...
Eat Your Rainbow: Eggplant Dip
It's a lot like the Lebanese ElRaheb but more neutral in taste. It's great to have as a dip or a...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.