Light Vegetarian Moussaka
By yasmine • April 5, 2016
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a touch of cinnamon that complements the sweetness of the tomatoes making the sauce absolutely delicious. The eggplants are cooked to perfection without the extra oil, while the raisins bind all flavours together to give you the lightest and most flavourful Egyptian Moussaka.
- 1 kg tomato (peeled & cut in chunks) - طماطم
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 5-6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 eggplant (cut in thin round slices) - باذنجان رومي
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon oregano (chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful raisins - زبيب
Step by step
- In a medium pot, heat only 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onions for about 5 minutes then stir in minced garlic.
- In the meantime, blend tomatoes into juice and add it to the pot. Add hot water, salt & pepper, oregano, cinnamon and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Let it simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the tomato sauce thickens. Discard the bay leaves.
- In the meantime, heat the rest of the olive oil and pan-fry the eggplants for 2 minutes on each side or until slightly golden. Place them on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To layer the moussaka, cover one 30cm round or 20x40cm rectangular oven dish or pyrex with a layer of eggplants. Pour half the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant layer and sprinkle half the raisins. Add another layer of eggplant slices followed by the rest of the tomato sauce and raisins.
- Place the oven dish in the oven for 15 minutes to cook the eggplants through. Serve it warm or cold next to rice or some baladi bread.
Chicken Strips with Pickled Lemon Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي A new take on chicken that is not just lovely when you're cooking for...
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
The house will smell divine while these filling, super healthy and extremely delicious Sweet...
The Greenest Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya)
It's time to give home-made ta3meyya dough a chance! Why buy it when the home-made one is...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]