Light Vegetarian Moussaka
By yasmine • April 5, 2016
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a touch of cinnamon that complements the sweetness of the tomatoes making the sauce absolutely delicious. The eggplants are cooked to perfection without the extra oil, while the raisins bind all flavours together to give you the lightest and most flavourful Egyptian Moussaka.
- 1 kg tomato (peeled & cut in chunks) - طماطم
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 5-6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 eggplant (cut in thin round slices) - باذنجان رومي
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon oregano (chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful raisins - زبيب
Step by step
- In a medium pot, heat only 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onions for about 5 minutes then stir in minced garlic.
- In the meantime, blend tomatoes into juice and add it to the pot. Add hot water, salt & pepper, oregano, cinnamon and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Let it simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the tomato sauce thickens. Discard the bay leaves.
- In the meantime, heat the rest of the olive oil and pan-fry the eggplants for 2 minutes on each side or until slightly golden. Place them on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To layer the moussaka, cover one 30cm round or 20x40cm rectangular oven dish or pyrex with a layer of eggplants. Pour half the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant layer and sprinkle half the raisins. Add another layer of eggplant slices followed by the rest of the tomato sauce and raisins.
- Place the oven dish in the oven for 15 minutes to cook the eggplants through. Serve it warm or cold next to rice or some baladi bread.
No-Mayo Pasta Salad
Colourful and nutritious, this salad is a joyful meal in a lunch box. With 3 different colours...
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Dried Cranberries
For a hassle-free morning, prepare this creamy chicken-salad sandwich filler one day in advance...
Sun-dried Tomato Hummus with Basil
Everyone's favourite hummus dip, only a lot tastier with yummy sundried tomatoes and fragrant...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]