Light Vegetarian Moussaka
By yasmine • April 5, 2016
A simple meatless version of our classic Moussaka. The homemade tomato sauce tastes divine with a touch of cinnamon that complements the sweetness of the tomatoes making the sauce absolutely delicious. The eggplants are cooked to perfection without the extra oil, while the raisins bind all flavours together to give you the lightest and most flavourful Egyptian Moussaka.
- 1 kg tomato (peeled & cut in chunks) - طماطم
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 5-6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 eggplant (cut in thin round slices) - باذنجان رومي
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon oregano (chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 handful raisins - زبيب
Step by step
- In a medium pot, heat only 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry minced onions for about 5 minutes then stir in minced garlic.
- In the meantime, blend tomatoes into juice and add it to the pot. Add hot water, salt & pepper, oregano, cinnamon and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Let it simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the tomato sauce thickens. Discard the bay leaves.
- In the meantime, heat the rest of the olive oil and pan-fry the eggplants for 2 minutes on each side or until slightly golden. Place them on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To layer the moussaka, cover one 30cm round or 20x40cm rectangular oven dish or pyrex with a layer of eggplants. Pour half the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant layer and sprinkle half the raisins. Add another layer of eggplant slices followed by the rest of the tomato sauce and raisins.
- Place the oven dish in the oven for 15 minutes to cook the eggplants through. Serve it warm or cold next to rice or some baladi bread.
Freekeh Vegetable Soup
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious...
Grilled Veggie Rolls with Cashew Cheese
These veggie rolls are enriched with the creaminess of the cashew cheese. The combination of the...
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed hazelnuts. The herbs in most Dukka recipes are just a perfect pair to white fish while the nuts along with the sesame in the Dukka creates a light crust to the fish without covering it completely, keeping it moist and tender. You can […]