Light Chicken Fatta
By shahdan • May 12, 2019
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock.
This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all the broth and daily soup preparations.
You will need to double the recipe for a large gathering.
- 2 shamy bread large - خبز شامي
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 medium chicken breast (2 cooked breasts on bones from boiled chicken) - صدور دجاج
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 medium tomatoes (grated) - طماطم
- 3 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1/2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- For the yoghurt topping:
- 400 gram yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 small garlic - ثوم
- To garnish:
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon nuts (favourite nut roasted in oven or dry pan until golden and fragrant) - مكسرات
Step by step
- Use scissors to slice bread into rectangles. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake in 180C oven for about 10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Debone and slice two boiled chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Season generously with salt and pepper. Keep warm, preferably in some of its warm stock.
- In a bowl, mix the yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic and salt. Set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan. Add minced garlic. Sauté garlic for a minute on low heat, then add the grated tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes cook with the garlic for a couple of minute then add the vinegar, followed by the stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place the bread on a serving plate. Arrange warm chicken on top. Use a spoon to drizzle hot tomato sauce over the chicken and bread then add the yoghurt.
- Garnish with parsley and roasted nuts and serve immediately. You can also keep the assembled dish (without the yoghurt) warm for a couple of minutes in a pre-heated (but turned off) oven.
Guiltless Granola Bars
These Guiltless Granola Bars are the perfect snack. It is crunchy, semi-sweet and...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Baked Salmon with Fresh Herbs
In the kitchen, I'm a fan of rich flavor, but more important than that - an easy recipe, like this...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]