Lentil & Beetroot Salad
By yasmine • January 11, 2018
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
- 2 cup brown lentils - عدس بني
- 1/2 kg beetroot - بنجر
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 garlic clove (sliced) - فص ثوم
- 1 onion (cut into chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Wash lentils and place it in a medium pot. Cover with water. Add onion chunks, garlic, salt & pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil then lower heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked through but not mushy.
- In the meantime, add whole beetroot to a medium pot and cover it with water. Bring it to a boil then let it simmer until beetroot is cooked through.
- Put sliced red onions in a small bowl with vinegar for 10 minutes before using.
- Scoop cooked lentils out of the water and place it in a salad bowl. Discard of onion and garlic.
- Peel cooked beetroot and slice it in half circles. Season with salt & pepper then add it to the lentils. Drain sliced red onions and add to lentils. Sprinkle chopped parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and lime juice. Stir the salad and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm or cold. It can last up to 3 days in the fridge where the taste gets better.
Warm Peach & Berries Fruit Crumble
Starting from the smell while its in the oven, your senses know they're getting a treat! Its...
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Crispy & Creamy Avocado Fries
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with EasyPan.com. These...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.