Lentil & Beetroot Salad
By yasmine • January 11, 2018
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
- 2 cup brown lentils - عدس بني
- 1/2 kg beetroot - بنجر
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة حمراء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 garlic clove (sliced) - فص ثوم
- 1 onion (cut into chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Wash lentils and place it in a medium pot. Cover with water. Add onion chunks, garlic, salt & pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil then lower heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked through but not mushy.
- In the meantime, add whole beetroot to a medium pot and cover it with water. Bring it to a boil then let it simmer until beetroot is cooked through.
- Put sliced red onions in a small bowl with vinegar for 10 minutes before using.
- Scoop cooked lentils out of the water and place it in a salad bowl. Discard of onion and garlic.
- Peel cooked beetroot and slice it in half circles. Season with salt & pepper then add it to the lentils. Drain sliced red onions and add to lentils. Sprinkle chopped parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and lime juice. Stir the salad and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm or cold. It can last up to 3 days in the fridge where the taste gets better.
Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Pure happiness in a bowl... There is something really special about...
Cheesy Steaks with Cream Mushroom Sauce
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. An easy flavorful...
Apple & Dill Mixed Vegetable Salad
This Apple & Dill Mixed Vegetable Salad is delicious, fun and easy to prepare in advance. With...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]