Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
By shahdan • May 25, 2015
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce, this okra is light, refreshing and perfect for spring and summer time!
- 400 gram okra or (1 frozen pack) - بامية
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 400 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- 1 handful coriander - كزبرة
- 2 large lime (or more) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- If using fresh okra, peel and prepare it.
- In a sauce pan, add the ground coriander and crushed garlic to the olive oil over a low heat for half a minute. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock.
- Add the okra (if frozen, straight from the bag after a quick wash), a bunch of finely chopped fresh coriander, the juice of two limes, salt and pepper to taste and sliced red chili pepper (without the seeds) if you like your food a little spicy.
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat until the okra is cooked. It will depend on the size of okra, but it’ll need an average of 15 minutes.
- Add more chopped fresh coriander before serving. Serve with white rice or with wholesome baladi bread… and add more lime juice to taste!
Butter & Garlic Carrot Bites
From 12 months. The best solution to help toddlers (from 1 year) feed themselves is to provide...
Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has...
Annabell’s Famous Banana & Avocado Mix
From 7 months. This mixture made the infamous Annabella Karmel famous among all mothers. It is an...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]