Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
By shahdan • May 25, 2015
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce, this okra is light, refreshing and perfect for spring and summer time!
- 400 gram okra or (1 frozen pack) - بامية
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 400 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- 1 handful coriander - كزبرة
- 2 large lime (or more) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- If using fresh okra, peel and prepare it.
- In a sauce pan, add the ground coriander and crushed garlic to the olive oil over a low heat for half a minute. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock.
- Add the okra (if frozen, straight from the bag after a quick wash), a bunch of finely chopped fresh coriander, the juice of two limes, salt and pepper to taste and sliced red chili pepper (without the seeds) if you like your food a little spicy.
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat until the okra is cooked. It will depend on the size of okra, but it’ll need an average of 15 minutes.
- Add more chopped fresh coriander before serving. Serve with white rice or with wholesome baladi bread… and add more lime juice to taste!
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
Labna & Dukka Baladi Sandwich
Such a simple day to day sandwich. You can have the filling prepared and ready in the fridge for a...
Fig & Pomegranate Green Salad
With fresh healthy greens, sweet figs and super nutritious pomegranates, this extremely easy to...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.