Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
By shahdan • May 25, 2015
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce, this okra is light, refreshing and perfect for spring and summer time!
- 400 gram okra or (1 frozen pack) - بامية
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 400 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- 1 handful coriander - كزبرة
- 2 large lime (or more) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- If using fresh okra, peel and prepare it.
- In a sauce pan, add the ground coriander and crushed garlic to the olive oil over a low heat for half a minute. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock.
- Add the okra (if frozen, straight from the bag after a quick wash), a bunch of finely chopped fresh coriander, the juice of two limes, salt and pepper to taste and sliced red chili pepper (without the seeds) if you like your food a little spicy.
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat until the okra is cooked. It will depend on the size of okra, but it’ll need an average of 15 minutes.
- Add more chopped fresh coriander before serving. Serve with white rice or with wholesome baladi bread… and add more lime juice to taste!
Roasted Beets & Carrot Soup
الوصفة بالعربي In season, summer root vegetables marry well together, creating a...
Artichoke & Lentil Salad
Full of colour, texture, and flavour, the Artichoke & Lentil Salad is the perfect way to eat...
Grain-free Almond Bread
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple recipe for grain-free bread made with almonds and...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]