Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
By shahdan • May 25, 2015
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce, this okra is light, refreshing and perfect for spring and summer time!
- 400 gram okra or (1 frozen pack) - بامية
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 400 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- 1 handful coriander - كزبرة
- 2 large lime (or more) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- If using fresh okra, peel and prepare it.
- In a sauce pan, add the ground coriander and crushed garlic to the olive oil over a low heat for half a minute. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock.
- Add the okra (if frozen, straight from the bag after a quick wash), a bunch of finely chopped fresh coriander, the juice of two limes, salt and pepper to taste and sliced red chili pepper (without the seeds) if you like your food a little spicy.
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat until the okra is cooked. It will depend on the size of okra, but it’ll need an average of 15 minutes.
- Add more chopped fresh coriander before serving. Serve with white rice or with wholesome baladi bread… and add more lime juice to taste!
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Mushroom & Onion Pie
Pies are so hearty, filling and a special treat on any dining table. I used store-bought short...
Easy Shrimp Curry
Recipe in Arabicالجمبرى بالكارى This shrimp curry is not only flavoursome...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.