Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
By shahdan • May 25, 2015
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce, this okra is light, refreshing and perfect for spring and summer time!
- 400 gram okra or (1 frozen pack) - بامية
- 4 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 400 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- 1 handful coriander - كزبرة
- 2 large lime (or more) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- If using fresh okra, peel and prepare it.
- In a sauce pan, add the ground coriander and crushed garlic to the olive oil over a low heat for half a minute. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable (or chicken) stock.
- Add the okra (if frozen, straight from the bag after a quick wash), a bunch of finely chopped fresh coriander, the juice of two limes, salt and pepper to taste and sliced red chili pepper (without the seeds) if you like your food a little spicy.
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat until the okra is cooked. It will depend on the size of okra, but it’ll need an average of 15 minutes.
- Add more chopped fresh coriander before serving. Serve with white rice or with wholesome baladi bread… and add more lime juice to taste!
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for...
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie's 30 minutes...
Crunchy Tuna & Capers Salad
With lots of greens, the tuna and capers salad is so simple yet delicious due to its sweet and...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]