Simple Mahalabeya with Lime Curd
By Alia El Askalany • January 30, 2016
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Lemon Mehalabeya was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious and tangy, however, we felt the consistency of the mahalabya is better with a 1 tablespoon to 1 cup milk ratio.
A different & summery take on this nostalgic all time favorite Ramadan pudding, but this time I decided to incorporate lemon & zest in it for an extra kick with a toasted almond flake garnish, for extra crunch.
- 1 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon corn starch - نشا
- 5 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 6 piece lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 1 handful almonds (toasted) - لوز
Step by step
- To make the lemon cream base, mix the lime juice with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch and 1 tablespoon sugar and wait till it thickens over heat, then remove.
- Refrigerate in the serving bowl you will use for about half an hour, so it forms a solid base.
- Boil half the cup of milk over medium heat. Stir the rest of the corn starch in the rest of the cool milk.
- Start adding the corn starch mixture to the boiled milk gradually along with the mastic pieces, stirring frequently with whisk so it doesn't clump.
- When it's done (it will form a thick trail on your whisk), remove from heat and pour over cold lemon cream base and refrigerate for another 2 hours before serving.
- Grate zest of one lime and toasted almond flakes before serving.
Blue Cheese & Walnut Sandwich
If you are a blue cheese lover, there's a high chance that this sandwich will become your new...
Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomatoes
The earthy flavour of lentils, the creaminess of goat cheese, and the sweetness of sun-dried...
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]