Simple Mahalabeya with Lime Curd
By Alia El Askalany • January 30, 2016
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Lemon Mehalabeya was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious and tangy, however, we felt the consistency of the mahalabya is better with a 1 tablespoon to 1 cup milk ratio.
A different & summery take on this nostalgic all time favorite Ramadan pudding, but this time I decided to incorporate lemon & zest in it for an extra kick with a toasted almond flake garnish, for extra crunch.
- 1 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon corn starch - نشا
- 5 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 6 piece lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 1 handful almonds (toasted) - لوز
Step by step
- To make the lemon cream base, mix the lime juice with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch and 1 tablespoon sugar and wait till it thickens over heat, then remove.
- Refrigerate in the serving bowl you will use for about half an hour, so it forms a solid base.
- Boil half the cup of milk over medium heat. Stir the rest of the corn starch in the rest of the cool milk.
- Start adding the corn starch mixture to the boiled milk gradually along with the mastic pieces, stirring frequently with whisk so it doesn't clump.
- When it's done (it will form a thick trail on your whisk), remove from heat and pour over cold lemon cream base and refrigerate for another 2 hours before serving.
- Grate zest of one lime and toasted almond flakes before serving.
Pomegranate Jallab with Silvered Almonds
Such a simple refreshing drink, this Pomegranate Jallab is a popular drink in Lebanon and...
Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
Nothing in your child's lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home...
Brown and crispy from the outside, super juicy from the inside and covered in layers of melted cheese & mouthwatering burger sauce, this is the recipe for the perfect Smashed Burgers that anyone can prepare and devour at home.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]