Simple Mahalabeya with Lime Curd
By Alia El Askalany • January 30, 2016
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Lemon Mehalabeya was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious and tangy, however, we felt the consistency of the mahalabya is better with a 1 tablespoon to 1 cup milk ratio.
A different & summery take on this nostalgic all time favorite Ramadan pudding, but this time I decided to incorporate lemon & zest in it for an extra kick with a toasted almond flake garnish, for extra crunch.
- 1 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon corn starch - نشا
- 5 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 6 piece lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 1 handful almonds (toasted) - لوز
Step by step
- To make the lemon cream base, mix the lime juice with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch and 1 tablespoon sugar and wait till it thickens over heat, then remove.
- Refrigerate in the serving bowl you will use for about half an hour, so it forms a solid base.
- Boil half the cup of milk over medium heat. Stir the rest of the corn starch in the rest of the cool milk.
- Start adding the corn starch mixture to the boiled milk gradually along with the mastic pieces, stirring frequently with whisk so it doesn't clump.
- When it's done (it will form a thick trail on your whisk), remove from heat and pour over cold lemon cream base and refrigerate for another 2 hours before serving.
- Grate zest of one lime and toasted almond flakes before serving.
Beetroot & Mint Dip
Beetroot & mint are a match made in heaven! This hearty Beetroot & Mint dip is sweet,...
Grilled Veggies & Goat Cheese Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Nutrient-dense and antioxidant-rich delicious salad with a mix of grilled vegetables,...
Kiddie Yummy Cut Out Cookies
Fun and easy to prepare, these cookies will keep your kids entertained. With no sophisticated...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.