Late Night Date & Custard Pie
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
This Date & Custard Pie is a result of a ready-made pie crust from Gourmet and the love for black dates on a cold winter night! I had the remaining dates in the fridge cut in half and placed face down on that pie crust -and kept going back and forth looking at it and thinking what should I do next! It obviously needed a creamy topping – so I opted for a traditional custard (I had the ingredients for it) Result? Not traditional at all! Move away pumpkin pies and apple pies – the Egyptian date pie is here!
- ½ kg dates (peeled, pitted & halved) - بلح
- 1 pie crust (20cm diameter ready-baked pie crust or pie crust dough) - شورت كراست
- 1½ cup milk - لبن
- 2 eggs - بيض
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- ¼ cup sugar - سكر
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- pinch salt - ملح
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place the date halves face down on the pie crust to cover the whole bottom. You can also place a couple of date pieces as a second row.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk. Meanwhile, whisk eggs with vanilla, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Add little hot milk on the eggs mixture and whisk further to temper it. Then continue to add the hot milk slowly as you whisk.
- Pour the custard mix on the dates and place the pie in the middle of the oven as you decrease temperature to 180C. It should bake for 50-60 min if the crust was still uncooked – and 40 minutes if the crust is precooked.
Fried Eggs with Dates (Aagwa)
This is a childhood favourite! The sweetness of the dates fried in butter with the lightly...
Baked Chicken Fingers
الوصفة بالعربي If my daughter had the option, she would have eaten fried breaded...
Artichoke & Lentil Salad
Full of colour, texture, and flavour, the Artichoke & Lentil Salad is the perfect way to eat...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.