Late Night Date & Custard Pie
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
This Date & Custard Pie is a result of a ready-made pie crust from Gourmet and the love for black dates on a cold winter night! I had the remaining dates in the fridge cut in half and placed face down on that pie crust -and kept going back and forth looking at it and thinking what should I do next! It obviously needed a creamy topping – so I opted for a traditional custard (I had the ingredients for it) Result? Not traditional at all! Move away pumpkin pies and apple pies – the Egyptian date pie is here!
- ½ kg dates (peeled, pitted & halved) - بلح
- 1 pie crust (20cm diameter ready-baked pie crust or pie crust dough) - شورت كراست
- 1½ cup milk - لبن
- 2 eggs - بيض
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- ¼ cup sugar - سكر
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- pinch salt - ملح
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place the date halves face down on the pie crust to cover the whole bottom. You can also place a couple of date pieces as a second row.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk. Meanwhile, whisk eggs with vanilla, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Add little hot milk on the eggs mixture and whisk further to temper it. Then continue to add the hot milk slowly as you whisk.
- Pour the custard mix on the dates and place the pie in the middle of the oven as you decrease temperature to 180C. It should bake for 50-60 min if the crust was still uncooked – and 40 minutes if the crust is precooked.
Chicken Fillets with Capers Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي Enjoy these mouthwatering chicken breasts in a creamy capers sauce....
Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe...
3-Ingredient Banana Pancakes
Here is a healthy low calorie, gluten free breakfast recipe! A recipe by Maha...
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]