Late Night Date & Custard Pie
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
This Date & Custard Pie is a result of a ready-made pie crust from Gourmet and the love for black dates on a cold winter night! I had the remaining dates in the fridge cut in half and placed face down on that pie crust -and kept going back and forth looking at it and thinking what should I do next! It obviously needed a creamy topping – so I opted for a traditional custard (I had the ingredients for it) Result? Not traditional at all! Move away pumpkin pies and apple pies – the Egyptian date pie is here!
- ½ kg dates (peeled, pitted & halved) - بلح
- 1 pie crust (20cm diameter ready-baked pie crust or pie crust dough) - شورت كراست
- 1½ cup milk - لبن
- 2 eggs - بيض
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- ¼ cup sugar - سكر
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- pinch salt - ملح
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place the date halves face down on the pie crust to cover the whole bottom. You can also place a couple of date pieces as a second row.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk. Meanwhile, whisk eggs with vanilla, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Add little hot milk on the eggs mixture and whisk further to temper it. Then continue to add the hot milk slowly as you whisk.
- Pour the custard mix on the dates and place the pie in the middle of the oven as you decrease temperature to 180C. It should bake for 50-60 min if the crust was still uncooked – and 40 minutes if the crust is precooked.
Quinoa, Mozzarella & Pomegranate Salad
The Quinoa, Mozzarella & Pomegranate is a wholesome and filling salad that is also delicious...
Pomegranate Jallab with Silvered Almonds
Such a simple refreshing drink, this Pomegranate Jallab is a popular drink in Lebanon and...
Boneless Wings and Blue-Cheese-Ranch Slaw Burrito
الوصفه بالعربي This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.