Kids Tomato Pasta Sauce with Secret Ingredients
By shahdan • May 7, 2015
Who said pasta cannot be healthy? With fresh ripe tomatoes, hidden onions, carrots, zucchini, and celery, this pasta sauce is filled with healthy goodies. And the bright side: your kids will not even notice.
Find out how to upgrade this recipe to a more fancy and even healthier grown-up version through the following link.: Tomatoey Pasta Sauce with lots of Greens
(suitable for freezing)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 3 stick celery (thinnly sliced) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (fresh without stem) - روزماري/ إكليل الجبل
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 3 tablespoon cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: chop the tomatoes and give it a quick blend in a blender or food processor. Finely chop the onion and celery. Grate the zucchini and carrot.
- Next, heat the oil in a pot, and add the onion and celery. Cook on a low heat, while stirring occasionally until soft (about 5 minutes.)
- Next, add the garlic, zucchini and carrots and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, herbs, and salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium until it boils, then lower the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- When your sauce is done simmering, use a handheld blender to make it creamy and smooth. ( You can also use your regular blender or food processor.)
- Optional: you may stir in a little cream for a richer and creamier consistency.
- Serve on your kids' favourite pasta.
Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat...
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd,...
Red Cabbage Warm Salad
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]