Kids Tomato Pasta Sauce with Secret Ingredients
By shahdan • May 7, 2015
Who said pasta cannot be healthy? With fresh ripe tomatoes, hidden onions, carrots, zucchini, and celery, this pasta sauce is filled with healthy goodies. And the bright side: your kids will not even notice.
Find out how to upgrade this recipe to a more fancy and even healthier grown-up version through the following link.: Tomatoey Pasta Sauce with lots of Greens
(suitable for freezing)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 3 stick celery (thinnly sliced) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (fresh without stem) - روزماري/ إكليل الجبل
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 3 tablespoon cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: chop the tomatoes and give it a quick blend in a blender or food processor. Finely chop the onion and celery. Grate the zucchini and carrot.
- Next, heat the oil in a pot, and add the onion and celery. Cook on a low heat, while stirring occasionally until soft (about 5 minutes.)
- Next, add the garlic, zucchini and carrots and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, herbs, and salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium until it boils, then lower the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- When your sauce is done simmering, use a handheld blender to make it creamy and smooth. ( You can also use your regular blender or food processor.)
- Optional: you may stir in a little cream for a richer and creamier consistency.
- Serve on your kids' favourite pasta.
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Green Goodness Chicken Sandwich
Pile this delicous creamy chicken sandwich with all your favorite nutritious greens, such as...
Classic Lentils To Die For
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]