Indian Butter Chicken
By shahdan • October 28, 2018
The Indian Butter Chicken is a restaurant quality dish that you can eat in the comfort of your own home. It is definitely a family favourite, simply served with white rice. The fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger in the sauce make it not only mouthwatering but also wholesome.
- 4 boneless chicken (breast fillets) - دجاج مخلى
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- For the sauce:
- 1 medium onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 2 large garlic cloves (sliced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon garam masala - جاراماسالا
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1/4 ground cumin teaspoon - كمون
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional) - شطة مطحونة
- 6 medium tomato (about 500g - diced) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon butter (30g) - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1 handful coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts (to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- Slice chicken breasts into cubes and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and turmeric.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan and cook chicken on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Set aside.
- In a deep pot, heat remaining oil. Sauté onions on medium heat for 4-5 minutes then add garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add all spices and stir for one minute on low heat to release their aroma. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Finally add, water, tomato paste and sugar. When it comes to a boil, cover and let it all simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and sauce has thickened.
- Using a handheld mixer, puree the sauce into a smooth consistency.
- Return to heat and add chicken. Cover and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes making sure chicken is cooked through.
- Add butter and coconut cream. Mix gently until butter has melted and cream has been combined into the sauce. Taste and adjust salt & pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander and chopped cashew nuts.
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
The house will smell divine while these filling, super healthy and extremely delicious Sweet...
Egyptian White Rice
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that...
Red Thai Chicken Curry
الوصفه بالعربي This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and...
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]