Indian Butter Chicken
By shahdan • October 28, 2018
The Indian Butter Chicken is a restaurant quality dish that you can eat in the comfort of your own home. It is definitely a family favourite, simply served with white rice. The fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger in the sauce make it not only mouthwatering but also wholesome.
- 4 boneless chicken (breast fillets) - دجاج مخلى
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- For the Sauce:
- 1 medium onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 2 large garlic cloves (sliced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon garam masala - جاراماسالا
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1/4 ground cumin teaspoon - كمون
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional) - شطة مطحونة
- 6 medium tomato (about 500g - diced) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon butter (30g) - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1 handful coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts (to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- Slice chicken breasts into cubes and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and turmeric.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan and cook chicken on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Set aside.
- In a deep pot, heat remaining oil. Sauté onions on medium heat for 4-5 minutes then add garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add all spices and stir for one minute on low heat to release their aroma. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Finally add, water, tomato paste and sugar. When it comes to a boil, cover and let it all simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and sauce has thickened.
- Using a handheld mixer, puree the sauce into a smooth consistency.
- Return to heat and add chicken. Cover and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes making sure chicken is cooked through.
- Add butter and coconut cream. Mix gently until butter has melted and cream has been combined into the sauce. Taste and adjust salt & pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander and chopped cashew nuts.
Hearty Homemade Om Ali
الوصفة بالعربي Om Ali is a lovely old oriental dessert - here it is made...
Cozy Cauliflower Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This soup is the perfect hug in a mug. Even those who wouldn't...
Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes
For all our gluten-free friends out there: These Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes taste exactly like...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]