Indian Butter Chicken
By shahdan • October 28, 2018
The Indian Butter Chicken is a restaurant quality dish that you can eat in the comfort of your own home. It is definitely a family favourite, simply served with white rice. The fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger in the sauce make it not only mouthwatering but also wholesome.
- 4 boneless chicken (breast fillets) - دجاج مخلى
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- For the sauce:
- 1 medium onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 2 large garlic cloves (sliced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon garam masala - جاراماسالا
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1/4 ground cumin teaspoon - كمون
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional) - شطة مطحونة
- 6 medium tomato (about 500g - diced) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon butter (30g) - زبدة
- 4 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1 handful coriander (to garnish) - كزبرة
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts (to garnish) - الكاجو
Step by step
- Slice chicken breasts into cubes and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and turmeric.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan and cook chicken on high heat until golden from outside but not cooked through. Set aside.
- In a deep pot, heat remaining oil. Sauté onions on medium heat for 4-5 minutes then add garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add all spices and stir for one minute on low heat to release their aroma. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Finally add, water, tomato paste and sugar. When it comes to a boil, cover and let it all simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and sauce has thickened.
- Using a handheld mixer, puree the sauce into a smooth consistency.
- Return to heat and add chicken. Cover and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes making sure chicken is cooked through.
- Add butter and coconut cream. Mix gently until butter has melted and cream has been combined into the sauce. Taste and adjust salt & pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander and chopped cashew nuts.
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside...
Adding lentils to Tabboula, not only gives this classic salad a beautiful earthy flavour, but it...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]