By shahdan • November 17, 2015
Hummus falafel is a great variation of the traditional broad bean (foul) falafel. This recipe will be of special interest to anyone living abroad, because chickpeas are much easier to find than the Egyptian ‘foul madshoush’. You will be surprised by how easy it is to prepare the falafel at home. All you really need is a good food processor. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight, and you will not need more than 15 minutes in the next morning to prepare the greenest and most delicious falafel dough. You may then divide it into smaller portions, and freeze it in suitable containers.
- 500 gram chickpeas (soaked for 12 hours or overnight) - حمص
- 2 cup leek (chopped leeks) - كرات
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1 bunch parsley - بقدونس
- 1/2 bunch coriander - كزبرة
- 2 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) - ملح
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 cup vegetable oil (to fry one batch) - زيت نباتي
Step by step
- Drain the soaked chickpeas and rinse with fresh water then place them in a food processor.
- Roughly chop the upper green parts of the parsley and coriander (it's ok to keep some stalks).
- Blend all ingredients together (except the frying oil) until you reach a relatively smooth falafel dough. Pour the dough into a bowl and use a fork to give it another stir to ensure all ingredients are well-combined.
- To fry, heat oil in a deep pan. Use your hands to form falafel patties and carefully drop one by one in the hot oil. You may also use an ice cream scoop. Fry until golden then transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
Onion & Soy Grilled Liver Fillets
This recipe will make you crave liver fillets more than meat and chicken. It makes liver tasty,...
Simple 6 Layer Salad
A healthy and filling salad you can prepare with whatever you have in your kitchen and munch on...
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]