Scrumptious Homemade Pretzels
By Taymour Farid • October 29, 2015
Did you know that yummy pretzels can be baked from your leftover pizza dough? Yes – this is for real – the most delicious salty and chewy pretzels!
Recipe shared by the Farids, from their article with CairoCooking: Pizza & Pretzels: One Day, One Dough and Pure Indulgence. The leftover pizza dough was used to bake these superb pretzels. Find the pizza recipe here.
- 4 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 tablespoon dry yeast - خميرة جافة
- 350 ml water (1 1/2 cups) - ماء
- 2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon sea salt (plus extra to sprinkle on top before baking) - ملح البحر
- 3-4 cup boiling water (enough to fill a small pot) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
Step by step
- Combine pizza flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Add water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes then work the dough again for another 10 minutes. The dough should not be sticky and you may need to add additional flour. Divide the dough into 2 balls and transfer to sealed zipper bags in the fridge for 8- 72 hours.
- Dust your work surface with flour. Roll out the dough and stretch it all around then divide each dough into 3 equal sized dough balls. Grease 6 small bowls with oil, add one dough ball in each bowl, lightly grease it with oil and cover with cling film (plastic wrap).
- Allow to rise for 2 hours in room temperature.
- Dust a work surface with flour and work the dough into your preferred pretzel shape. Each ball will make 2 large pretzels. You can roll it into a long baton then make a simple knot.
- Add 2 tsps. baking soda in a pot with boiling water.
- Using a slotted spoon slowly drop the pretzel dough one by one in the boiling water for 30 seconds each.
- Gently remove your pretzel dough and put on a tray lined with parchment paper. Brush the pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in a 250 c oven for 10- 15 minutes until it’s puffed and nicely browned.
Garlic & Herb Roasted Potatoes
The Garlic & Herb Roasted Potato dish makes a very delicious side to almost any of your...
Soggo’ Baladi with Pomegranate Molasses
With a crunchy bite and creamy sweetness from the molasses, this Soggo' Baladi with Pomegranate...
Shami Chicken Fattah
An inherited original recipe from my Syrian/Lebanese in-laws. It is super easy, and can be served...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]