Scrumptious Homemade Pretzels
By Taymour Farid • October 29, 2015
Did you know that yummy pretzels can be baked from your leftover pizza dough? Yes – this is for real – the most delicious salty and chewy pretzels!
Recipe shared by the Farids, from their article with CairoCooking: Pizza & Pretzels: One Day, One Dough and Pure Indulgence. The leftover pizza dough was used to bake these superb pretzels. Find the pizza recipe here.
- 4 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 tablespoon dry yeast - خميرة جافة
- 350 ml water (1 1/2 cups) - ماء
- 2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon sea salt (plus extra to sprinkle on top before baking) - ملح البحر
- 3-4 cup boiling water (enough to fill a small pot) - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
Step by step
- Combine pizza flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Add water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes then work the dough again for another 10 minutes. The dough should not be sticky and you may need to add additional flour. Divide the dough into 2 balls and transfer to sealed zipper bags in the fridge for 8- 72 hours.
- Dust your work surface with flour. Roll out the dough and stretch it all around then divide each dough into 3 equal sized dough balls. Grease 6 small bowls with oil, add one dough ball in each bowl, lightly grease it with oil and cover with cling film (plastic wrap).
- Allow to rise for 2 hours in room temperature.
- Dust a work surface with flour and work the dough into your preferred pretzel shape. Each ball will make 2 large pretzels. You can roll it into a long baton then make a simple knot.
- Add 2 tsps. baking soda in a pot with boiling water.
- Using a slotted spoon slowly drop the pretzel dough one by one in the boiling water for 30 seconds each.
- Gently remove your pretzel dough and put on a tray lined with parchment paper. Brush the pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in a 250 c oven for 10- 15 minutes until it’s puffed and nicely browned.
Fried Eggs with Dates (Aagwa)
This is a childhood favourite! The sweetness of the dates fried in butter with the lightly...
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious...
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]