Homemade Fresh Fish Stock
By yasmine • May 11, 2015
Fish broth is easy and quick to make with ingredients available in your household. It will go into any of your seafood dishes like pasta, rice, risotto, a casserole, and make it taste more fresh and authentic. You can also replace the store-bought bottled fish sauce with this fresh alternative in most Asian dishes.
There is no waste of fish for this broth, since you only use the bones, head and tail of the fish. Whenever you’re buying fresh fish fillet – (and do buy fresh fish it is way better than the packaged frozen stuff even if you will freeze the fresh ones at home) ask the fisherman to clean up your fillets and cut them into serving sizes AND keep the bones for you in a separate pack!
The best fish for stock are the Mediterranean white fish like sea bass, because they’re low in fat content and do not bitter the stock.
- 1-2 fish bones - عظام السمك
- 2 carrots - جزر
- 2 large stalks celery - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 stem fennel (optional) - شمر او فونوكيا
- 1 red onion - بصلة حمراء
- 1 white onion - بصل ابيض
- 3 to 4 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns - حبوب فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Peel and cut all veggies in large chunks.
- In a large pot, put all fish bones, cut veggies, peppercorns, bay leaves and cover it with 5 cups of lukewarm water.
- Let the mix simmer on low heat for up to 20 minutes.
- Drain the broth from the veggies, let it cool then transfer into a sterilised container. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for a month.
Crispy Cauliflower & Broccoli Gratin
So heartwarming and delicious, this baked dish is a perfect veggie option for the whole family. It...
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!