Homemade Fresh Fish Stock
By yasmine • May 11, 2015
Fish broth is easy and quick to make with ingredients available in your household. It will go into any of your seafood dishes like pasta, rice, risotto, a casserole, and make it taste more fresh and authentic. You can also replace the store-bought bottled fish sauce with this fresh alternative in most Asian dishes.
There is no waste of fish for this broth, since you only use the bones, head and tail of the fish. Whenever you’re buying fresh fish fillet – (and do buy fresh fish it is way better than the packaged frozen stuff even if you will freeze the fresh ones at home) ask the fisherman to clean up your fillets and cut them into serving sizes AND keep the bones for you in a separate pack!
The best fish for stock are the Mediterranean white fish like sea bass, because they’re low in fat content and do not bitter the stock.
- 1-2 fish bones - عظام السمك
- 2 carrots - جزر
- 2 large stalks celery - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 stem fennel (optional) - شمر او فونوكيا
- 1 red onion - بصلة حمراء
- 1 white onion - بصل ابيض
- 3 to 4 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns - حبوب فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Peel and cut all veggies in large chunks.
- In a large pot, put all fish bones, cut veggies, peppercorns, bay leaves and cover it with 5 cups of lukewarm water.
- Let the mix simmer on low heat for up to 20 minutes.
- Drain the broth from the veggies, let it cool then transfer into a sterilised container. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for a month.
Lovely Lentils Simplified
From 9 months. The infamous Annabella Karmel came up with a toddler lentils recipe that is very...
Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family....
Coffee-Rubbed Beef Fillet Chunk
Yes, coffee! It's bitter, it creates a beautiful crust to the meat and most importantly the recipe...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.