Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • July 22, 2016
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe ‘Kabab Halla’ or Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes. With some left-over chicken fillets, I decided to try out this dish using chicken instead of meat. It turned out hearty and delicious that the whole family enjoyed it. It is definitely an innovative full meal prepared in less than 45 minutes with little hands-on.
Dusting the chicken with flour gives it a crisp as well as helps thicken the sauce as it cooks through in the last step.
- 600-700 gram chicken breast fillet (cut in strips or cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 medium carrots (peeled & cut in cubes) - جزر
- 1 large potatoes (peeled & cut in cubes) - بطاطس
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut chicken fillets into strips or cubes (about 4-5 pieces per fillet). Season with salt and pepper and smear in the flour.
- In a large deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Fry chicken strips until golden on all sides (about 5 minutes). It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 3 more tablespoons olive oil and fry the potato and carrot cubes until slightly golden. It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the leftover oil in the pan, fry minced onion until translucent (about 7 minutes). Add chicken and root vegetables and stir. Season with salt and pepper then add warm broth or water.
- Let it come to a boil then lower heat and stir occasionally. Let it is sizzle for about 15 minutes or until all is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning and serve warm next to rice and a salad for a complete meal.
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Vermicelli with Almonds
Vermicelli with Almonds (she'reya) has always been an important dish on my family's dinner party-...
Nutritious Freekeh with Chicken Dish
Extremely nutritious, freekeh is one of the healthiest grains. This grain can be easily cooked into...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]