Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • July 22, 2016
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe ‘Kabab Halla’ or Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes. With some left-over chicken fillets, I decided to try out this dish using chicken instead of meat. It turned out hearty and delicious that the whole family enjoyed it. It is definitely an innovative full meal prepared in less than 45 minutes with little hands-on.
Dusting the chicken with flour gives it a crisp as well as helps thicken the sauce as it cooks through in the last step.
- 600-700 gram chicken breast fillet (cut in strips or cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 medium carrots (peeled & cut in cubes) - جزر
- 1 large potatoes (peeled & cut in cubes) - بطاطس
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut chicken fillets into strips or cubes (about 4-5 pieces per fillet). Season with salt and pepper and smear in the flour.
- In a large deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Fry chicken strips until golden on all sides (about 5 minutes). It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 3 more tablespoons olive oil and fry the potato and carrot cubes until slightly golden. It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the leftover oil in the pan, fry minced onion until translucent (about 7 minutes). Add chicken and root vegetables and stir. Season with salt and pepper then add warm broth or water.
- Let it come to a boil then lower heat and stir occasionally. Let it is sizzle for about 15 minutes or until all is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning and serve warm next to rice and a salad for a complete meal.
Simple Chicken Curry
I love this recipe because this is the basic Chicken Curry dish I grew up eating at home without...
No-Mayo Pasta Salad
Colourful and nutritious, this salad is a joyful meal in a lunch box. With 3 different colours...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]