Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • July 22, 2016
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe ‘Kabab Halla’ or Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes. With some left-over chicken fillets, I decided to try out this dish using chicken instead of meat. It turned out hearty and delicious that the whole family enjoyed it. It is definitely an innovative full meal prepared in less than 45 minutes with little hands-on.
Dusting the chicken with flour gives it a crisp as well as helps thicken the sauce as it cooks through in the last step.
- 600-700 gram chicken breast fillet (cut in strips or cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 medium carrots (peeled & cut in cubes) - جزر
- 1 large potatoes (peeled & cut in cubes) - بطاطس
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut chicken fillets into strips or cubes (about 4-5 pieces per fillet). Season with salt and pepper and smear in the flour.
- In a large deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Fry chicken strips until golden on all sides (about 5 minutes). It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 3 more tablespoons olive oil and fry the potato and carrot cubes until slightly golden. It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the leftover oil in the pan, fry minced onion until translucent (about 7 minutes). Add chicken and root vegetables and stir. Season with salt and pepper then add warm broth or water.
- Let it come to a boil then lower heat and stir occasionally. Let it is sizzle for about 15 minutes or until all is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning and serve warm next to rice and a salad for a complete meal.
Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
I can't imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of...
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids...
Halawa & Chocolate Spread
Recipe by Jummana Lotfy. Egyptian Nutella, as my kids like to call it, is an easy recipe for...
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for the whole family or as a large main dish on its own. Enjoy its Asian flavors and the combination of crunchy veggies and moist yummy chicken.
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I like to serve it with white rice, steamed veggies and French fries (yes, not the lightest meal but the sauce tastes divine with the crispy fries). This meal is quick and fun – everyone enjoys.