Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • July 22, 2016
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe ‘Kabab Halla’ or Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes. With some left-over chicken fillets, I decided to try out this dish using chicken instead of meat. It turned out hearty and delicious that the whole family enjoyed it. It is definitely an innovative full meal prepared in less than 45 minutes with little hands-on.
Dusting the chicken with flour gives it a crisp as well as helps thicken the sauce as it cooks through in the last step.
- 600-700 gram chicken breast fillet (cut in strips or cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 medium carrots (peeled & cut in cubes) - جزر
- 1 large potatoes (peeled & cut in cubes) - بطاطس
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut chicken fillets into strips or cubes (about 4-5 pieces per fillet). Season with salt and pepper and smear in the flour.
- In a large deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Fry chicken strips until golden on all sides (about 5 minutes). It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 3 more tablespoons olive oil and fry the potato and carrot cubes until slightly golden. It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the leftover oil in the pan, fry minced onion until translucent (about 7 minutes). Add chicken and root vegetables and stir. Season with salt and pepper then add warm broth or water.
- Let it come to a boil then lower heat and stir occasionally. Let it is sizzle for about 15 minutes or until all is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning and serve warm next to rice and a salad for a complete meal.
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is...
Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat...
Frozen Banana Cream with Cranberries
Just before your bananas turn black from the heat - peel them, slice them and place them in a...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]