Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
By shahdan • January 23, 2016
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a delicious twist, and a squeeze of lime takes this soup to a whole new level! Feel-good soup at its best!
- 400 gram artichoke (1 frozen artichoke hearts pack) - خرشوف
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional) - زبدة
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 cup half cream milk (500 ml - OR skimmed milk) - لبن نصف دسم
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (500 ml - OR vegetable stock) - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (frozen peas & carrots) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 2 teaspoon dill (chopped) - شبت
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 large lime (plus extra for serving) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Defrost artichoke hearts and chop into cubes. Set aside.
- In a deep soup pot, melt butter (if using any) with oil on medium heat. Add flour and stir for a minute or two until flour starts to bubble.
- Add milk and whisk continuously on low heat (making sure there are no flour lumps) until milk thickens. Don't rush this step, it takes about 15 minutes.
- Add one cup chicken broth only then the artichoke cubes. Leave to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, then add mixed vegetables and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- When all veggies are tender, transfer 2 ladles of soup with veggies to a small blender and process until smooth. You can also use a small bowl for a hand-held blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper. Adjust soup consistency to your liking using remaining stock.
- Add dill and lime juice and serve warm.
Thai Shrimp Curry
Easy, exotic, and heavenly... Cook this dish to wow your guests or to treat your loved ones with...
Cucumber and Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new...
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple ingredients and little hands-on cooking time, this recipe will probably go on your favourite recipe list. The basil & thyme add a herb quality to the soup, but are not essential. The soup is also very yummy with or […]
Broccoli & Basil Soup
This good-for-you Green Broccoli and Basil soup is creamy and delicious without the need to add any starch. The secret ingredient is zucchini. It gives the soup an unexpectedly smooth and thick consistency, eliminating the need for cream.
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.