Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
By shahdan • May 5, 2019
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine.
It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering.
This Fatta is a true joy to dig into.
- 2 large eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 medium garlic clove (grated) - فص ثوم
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 250 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium tomato (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- For the yoghurt topping:
- 300 gram yoghurt - زبادي
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- To garnish:
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (OR 1/2 teaspoon sumac) - بذور رمان
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses (optional) - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Slice the eggplants into medium cubes and arrange on baking tray.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix with your hands to coat the eggplants well. Place tray in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes, turning the eggplants halfway through, until golden and cooked.
- Mix the vinegar with grated garlic and drizzle on hot eggplants. Set aside.
- Use scissors to cut bread into small rectangles. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toast in the same oven for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through, until crispy and golden. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and sauté diced onion. Add minced beef. season with salt and pepper and stir frequently until cooked. Add grated tomato and leave to cook for another 3 minutes on low heat, then add pomegranate molasses and turn off heat.
- In a bowl, mix the yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, and salt.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small dry pan on medium heat, while shaking the pan, until golden.
- To assemble the dish, arrange crispy bread on serving plate. Add the roasted eggplants followed by the minced beef and finally the yoghurt. Garnish with chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds or sumac and pine nuts. You can arrange some leftover crispy bread in the middle of the dish and drizzle it with pomegranate molasses on top.
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes,...
Carpaccio on Parmesan Chips
This is a special dish for those people who appreciate a delicate appetiser. It is crispy, smooth,...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]