Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
By shahdan • May 5, 2019
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine.
It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering.
This Fatta is a true joy to dig into.
- 2 large eggplant - باذنجان رومي
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 medium garlic clove (grated) - فص ثوم
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 250 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium tomato (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- For the yoghurt topping:
- 300 gram yoghurt - زبادي
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- To garnish:
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (OR 1/2 teaspoon sumac) - بذور رمان
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts - صنوبر
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses (optional) - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Slice the eggplants into medium cubes and arrange on baking tray.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix with your hands to coat the eggplants well. Place tray in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes, turning the eggplants halfway through, until golden and cooked.
- Mix the vinegar with grated garlic and drizzle on hot eggplants. Set aside.
- Use scissors to cut bread into small rectangles. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toast in the same oven for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through, until crispy and golden. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and sauté diced onion. Add minced beef. season with salt and pepper and stir frequently until cooked. Add grated tomato and leave to cook for another 3 minutes on low heat, then add pomegranate molasses and turn off heat.
- In a bowl, mix the yoghurt with tahini, minced garlic, and salt.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small dry pan on medium heat, while shaking the pan, until golden.
- To assemble the dish, arrange crispy bread on serving plate. Add the roasted eggplants followed by the minced beef and finally the yoghurt. Garnish with chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds or sumac and pine nuts. You can arrange some leftover crispy bread in the middle of the dish and drizzle it with pomegranate molasses on top.
Peanut Butter Chicken Fillets
الوصفة بالعربي This recipe is inspired by an amazing dish we tried at a Latin...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It's crispy...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]