By shahdan • September 28, 2018
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here.
Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using leftover (or precooked and frozen) minced beef bolognese sauce, that I usually have in small batches in my freezer to serve on spaghetti on busy days.
This recipe serves four if served with salad and bread only. But if is is part of a bigger menu, it would be enough for six.
If you prefer your moussaka with béchamel, you can add a cheesy béchamel sauce layer on top before pooping it into the oven. It looks more impressive in dinner parties, yet it’s lighter and easier without it for you everyday.
- 4 large eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (OR olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 cup bell peppers (thinly sliced red, yellow & green) - فلفل ملون
- 1/3 cup raisins - زبيب
- 1 cup Bolognese sauce (pre-cooked with minced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large tray with parchment paper (optional) and generously brush the paper (or tray) with oil.
- Slice eggplants into medium thick circles and arrange on baking tray. Brush the eggplants with more oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning them over half way through) or until eggplants slices are golden and soft (depending on your oven).
- While eggplant slices are roasting, shallow- fry the bell peppers in a little oil. When the bell peppers have wilted, add raisins and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain bell pepper/raisins mix on kitchen tissue. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- To assemble moussaka, spread 1 tablespoon bolognese sauce over a 20x25 cm Pyrex. Then arrange half of the eggplants slices next to each other to create the base layer. Drizzle vinegar on top.
- Add the bell pepper/raisins mix, spread and press firmly.
- Next, spread about 3 tablespoons bolognese sauce over the eggplants (just enough to create a very thin layer). Sprinkle with oregano.
- Arrange remaining eggplants into a top layer. Add 2 tablespoons bolognese sauce more and spread, while pressing the moussaka firmly with a spoon.
- Bake in 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Serve warm with Baladi bread and next to a green salad.
Classic Lentils To Die For
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any...
Mixed Bean Salad
The Mixed Bean Salad is perfect for everyday and large gatherings espeically summer barbecues....
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]