By shahdan • September 28, 2018
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here.
Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using leftover (or precooked and frozen) minced beef bolognese sauce, that I usually have in small batches in my freezer to serve on spaghetti on busy days.
This recipe serves four if served with salad and bread only. But if is is part of a bigger menu, it would be enough for six.
If you prefer your moussaka with béchamel, you can add a cheesy béchamel sauce layer on top before pooping it into the oven. It looks more impressive in dinner parties, yet it’s lighter and easier without it for you everyday.
- 4 large eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (OR olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 cup bell peppers (thinly sliced red, yellow & green) - فلفل ملون
- 1/3 cup raisins - زبيب
- 1 cup Bolognese sauce (pre-cooked with minced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large tray with parchment paper (optional) and generously brush the paper (or tray) with oil.
- Slice eggplants into medium thick circles and arrange on baking tray. Brush the eggplants with more oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning them over half way through) or until eggplants slices are golden and soft (depending on your oven).
- While eggplant slices are roasting, shallow- fry the bell peppers in a little oil. When the bell peppers have wilted, add raisins and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain bell pepper/raisins mix on kitchen tissue. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- To assemble moussaka, spread 1 tablespoon bolognese sauce over a 20x25 cm Pyrex. Then arrange half of the eggplants slices next to each other to create the base layer. Drizzle vinegar on top.
- Add the bell pepper/raisins mix, spread and press firmly.
- Next, spread about 3 tablespoons bolognese sauce over the eggplants (just enough to create a very thin layer). Sprinkle with oregano.
- Arrange remaining eggplants into a top layer. Add 2 tablespoons bolognese sauce more and spread, while pressing the moussaka firmly with a spoon.
- Bake in 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Serve warm with Baladi bread and next to a green salad.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Not just an incredible dip and appetiser, this hummus is great for kids not just with a sweetness...
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Roasted Eggplant & Labna Bruschetta
Perfect for brunch and casual gatherings, this roasted eggplant & labna bruschetta is a true...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]