By shahdan • September 28, 2018
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here.
Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using leftover (or precooked and frozen) minced beef bolognese sauce, that I usually have in small batches in my freezer to serve on spaghetti on busy days.
This recipe serves four if served with salad and bread only. But if is is part of a bigger menu, it would be enough for six.
If you prefer your moussaka with béchamel, you can add a cheesy béchamel sauce layer on top before pooping it into the oven. It looks more impressive in dinner parties, yet it’s lighter and easier without it for you everyday.
- 4 large eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (OR olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 cup bell peppers (thinly sliced red, yellow & green) - فلفل ملون
- 1/3 cup raisins - زبيب
- 1 cup Bolognese sauce (pre-cooked with minced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large tray with parchment paper (optional) and generously brush the paper (or tray) with oil.
- Slice eggplants into medium thick circles and arrange on baking tray. Brush the eggplants with more oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning them over half way through) or until eggplants slices are golden and soft (depending on your oven).
- While eggplant slices are roasting, shallow- fry the bell peppers in a little oil. When the bell peppers have wilted, add raisins and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain bell pepper/raisins mix on kitchen tissue. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- To assemble moussaka, spread 1 tablespoon bolognese sauce over a 20x25 cm Pyrex. Then arrange half of the eggplants slices next to each other to create the base layer. Drizzle vinegar on top.
- Add the bell pepper/raisins mix, spread and press firmly.
- Next, spread about 3 tablespoons bolognese sauce over the eggplants (just enough to create a very thin layer). Sprinkle with oregano.
- Arrange remaining eggplants into a top layer. Add 2 tablespoons bolognese sauce more and spread, while pressing the moussaka firmly with a spoon.
- Bake in 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Serve warm with Baladi bread and next to a green salad.
Dutch Tuna Salad
This is a very famous tuna mix in Holland. When you go to any lunch place and ask for a tuna...
Paleo Chocolate Mousse
Paleo cooking refrains from processed sugars and gluten but doesn't compromise on good taste. This...
Baby Banana Ice Cream
From 12 months. Not just because of dairy, but also because extra cold contents are not as easy to...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]