By shahdan • September 28, 2018
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here.
Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using leftover (or precooked and frozen) minced beef bolognese sauce, that I usually have in small batches in my freezer to serve on spaghetti on busy days.
This recipe serves four if served with salad and bread only. But if is is part of a bigger menu, it would be enough for six.
If you prefer your moussaka with béchamel, you can add a cheesy béchamel sauce layer on top before pooping it into the oven. It looks more impressive in dinner parties, yet it’s lighter and easier without it for you everyday.
- 4 large eggplant (sliced) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (OR olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 cup bell peppers (thinly sliced red, yellow & green) - فلفل ملون
- 1/3 cup raisins - زبيب
- 1 cup Bolognese sauce (pre-cooked with minced beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large tray with parchment paper (optional) and generously brush the paper (or tray) with oil.
- Slice eggplants into medium thick circles and arrange on baking tray. Brush the eggplants with more oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes (turning them over half way through) or until eggplants slices are golden and soft (depending on your oven).
- While eggplant slices are roasting, shallow- fry the bell peppers in a little oil. When the bell peppers have wilted, add raisins and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain bell pepper/raisins mix on kitchen tissue. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- To assemble moussaka, spread 1 tablespoon bolognese sauce over a 20x25 cm Pyrex. Then arrange half of the eggplants slices next to each other to create the base layer. Drizzle vinegar on top.
- Add the bell pepper/raisins mix, spread and press firmly.
- Next, spread about 3 tablespoons bolognese sauce over the eggplants (just enough to create a very thin layer). Sprinkle with oregano.
- Arrange remaining eggplants into a top layer. Add 2 tablespoons bolognese sauce more and spread, while pressing the moussaka firmly with a spoon.
- Bake in 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Serve warm with Baladi bread and next to a green salad.
Clear Zucchini Chicken Soup
الوصفة بالعربي A fresh yet hearty soup is like a warm hug! Especially when it is not...
Easy Fruity Frozen Yoghurt Cups
Creamy, sweet, and full of nutritional goodness, these fruity frozen yoghurt cups make...
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]