Grilled Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
This is an easy everyday recipe for marinated chicken with lemon and thyme that tastes even better than some of Egypt’s most famous grilled chicken restaurants. For great home results, I like to use a vertical chicken roaster (as per photo), which are inexpensive and available in most kitchen supplies’ stores in Egypt. It gives me the best and easiest grilled chicken at home. This recipe is also perfect for outdoor BBQ and is easy enough for everyday.
- 1 large chicken - دجاج
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (the juice of the onion only) - بصلة
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 tablespoon thyme -dried - زعتر
- 3 large lime (juice of 3 limes) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon honey - عسل
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 tsp teaspoon black pepper freshly crushed - فلفل أسود
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In bowl or bag, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Rub the chicken inside out with the marinade, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, and for best results, overnight.
- If you choose to use a vertical roaster, place the chicken on the roaster and put a little water in the tray underneath so the juices that fall out during the roasting process don’t burn.
- Pop in a 180C preheated oven for around an hour to 75 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken.) Or just grill on your regular grill. Make sure not to over grill, you need a nice brown color from outside and white juicy meat inside.
- Check on the chicken 2-3 times during the grilling time and spoon some of the chicken juices over the chicken.
- Serve the chicken gravy that is collected in the tray underneath the roaster in a separate bowl to give people the choice to either add some, or just enjoy a tasty chicken without the extra fat.
Halawa & Chocolate Spread
Recipe by Jummana Lotfy. Egyptian Nutella, as my kids like to call it, is an easy recipe for...
Spinach & Minced Beef Hawawshi
Nothing in your child's lunchbox can be compared to a full meal, like this Spinach and Minced Beef...
Banana Chocolate Wheat Cakes Toasties
The Banana Honey-based Chocolate Wheat Cakes Toasties are an incredibly nutritious yet sweet...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.