Grilled Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
This is an easy everyday recipe for marinated chicken with lemon and thyme that tastes even better than some of Egypt’s most famous grilled chicken restaurants. For great home results, I like to use a vertical chicken roaster (as per photo), which are inexpensive and available in most kitchen supplies’ stores in Egypt. It gives me the best and easiest grilled chicken at home. This recipe is also perfect for outdoor BBQ and is easy enough for everyday.
- 1 large chicken - دجاج
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (the juice of the onion only) - بصلة
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 tablespoon thyme -dried - زعتر
- 3 large lime (juice of 3 limes) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon honey - عسل
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 tsp teaspoon black pepper freshly crushed - فلفل أسود
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In bowl or bag, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Rub the chicken inside out with the marinade, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, and for best results, overnight.
- If you choose to use a vertical roaster, place the chicken on the roaster and put a little water in the tray underneath so the juices that fall out during the roasting process don’t burn.
- Pop in a 180C preheated oven for around an hour to 75 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken.) Or just grill on your regular grill. Make sure not to over grill, you need a nice brown color from outside and white juicy meat inside.
- Check on the chicken 2-3 times during the grilling time and spoon some of the chicken juices over the chicken.
- Serve the chicken gravy that is collected in the tray underneath the roaster in a separate bowl to give people the choice to either add some, or just enjoy a tasty chicken without the extra fat.
Leek & Onion Soup
A heartwarming soup that must be prepared every winter in our household. It fits most menus because...
Classic Egyptian Bessara
الوصفه بالعربي A hearty authentic Egyptian dish to be proud of! It will take you to...
Balsamic Dijon Roasted Steak
الوصفه بالعربي This recipe was an entry in the #TheMeatCompete. A super easy &...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]