Grilled Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
This is an easy everyday recipe for marinated chicken with lemon and thyme that tastes even better than some of Egypt’s most famous grilled chicken restaurants. For great home results, I like to use a vertical chicken roaster (as per photo), which are inexpensive and available in most kitchen supplies’ stores in Egypt. It gives me the best and easiest grilled chicken at home. This recipe is also perfect for outdoor BBQ and is easy enough for everyday.
- 1 large chicken - دجاج
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (the juice of the onion only) - بصلة
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 tablespoon thyme -dried - زعتر
- 3 large lime (juice of 3 limes) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon honey - عسل
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 tsp teaspoon black pepper freshly crushed - فلفل أسود
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In bowl or bag, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Rub the chicken inside out with the marinade, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, and for best results, overnight.
- If you choose to use a vertical roaster, place the chicken on the roaster and put a little water in the tray underneath so the juices that fall out during the roasting process don’t burn.
- Pop in a 180C preheated oven for around an hour to 75 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken.) Or just grill on your regular grill. Make sure not to over grill, you need a nice brown color from outside and white juicy meat inside.
- Check on the chicken 2-3 times during the grilling time and spoon some of the chicken juices over the chicken.
- Serve the chicken gravy that is collected in the tray underneath the roaster in a separate bowl to give people the choice to either add some, or just enjoy a tasty chicken without the extra fat.
Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something?...
The Rice-Meatball Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي Turn CairoCooking's Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting...
Creamy Mussels Pasta Tagliatelle
Mussles are so easy to cook yet always add luxury to any menu. This dish takes so little time...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]