Grilled Chicken with Lemon & Thyme
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
This is an easy everyday recipe for marinated chicken with lemon and thyme that tastes even better than some of Egypt’s most famous grilled chicken restaurants. For great home results, I like to use a vertical chicken roaster (as per photo), which are inexpensive and available in most kitchen supplies’ stores in Egypt. It gives me the best and easiest grilled chicken at home. This recipe is also perfect for outdoor BBQ and is easy enough for everyday.
- 1 large chicken - دجاج
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (the juice of the onion only) - بصلة
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 tablespoon thyme -dried - زعتر
- 3 large lime (juice of 3 limes) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon honey - عسل
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 tsp teaspoon black pepper freshly crushed - فلفل أسود
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed - فصوص ثوم
Step by step
- In bowl or bag, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Rub the chicken inside out with the marinade, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, and for best results, overnight.
- If you choose to use a vertical roaster, place the chicken on the roaster and put a little water in the tray underneath so the juices that fall out during the roasting process don’t burn.
- Pop in a 180C preheated oven for around an hour to 75 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken.) Or just grill on your regular grill. Make sure not to over grill, you need a nice brown color from outside and white juicy meat inside.
- Check on the chicken 2-3 times during the grilling time and spoon some of the chicken juices over the chicken.
- Serve the chicken gravy that is collected in the tray underneath the roaster in a separate bowl to give people the choice to either add some, or just enjoy a tasty chicken without the extra fat.
Chicken Fillets with Capers Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي Enjoy these mouthwatering chicken breasts in a creamy capers sauce....
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Duck & Rice Beraam
الوصفة بالعربي Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian...
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]