Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
By shahdan • May 16, 2019
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy and extremely flavourful.
This is a clean & healthy meal that is so quick and easy to cook and enjoy at home. Serve it with Tzatziki, flat bread, olives, and a Greek Salad to enjoy a full Greek authentic meal in the comfort of your own home.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus an extra drizzle for the pan) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice - عصير ليمون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 11/2 tablespoon oregano (dry) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- For the Tzatziki - الزبادي بالخيار
- 300 gram yoghurt (preferably Greek yoghurt) - زبادي
- 2 medium cucumber - خيار
- 1 medium garlic clove (grated) - فص ثوم
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint (optional) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Mix all ingredient together and pour over chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Soak wooden skewers (if using any) in water for 30 minutes (to prevent them from burning while cooking).
- Thread the chicken pieces on the skewers.
- Heat a pan/griddle pan. Add a drizzle olive oil and arrange chicken when the pan is very hot to get a nice golden colour on the chicken. Don't rush to turn them, give them a good 4-5 minutes before you start turning them to the other sides. Lower heat to medium half way through if needed.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked through by cutting through one of the thickest pieces to make sure its not pink inside.
- To prepare the Tzatziki, grate the cucumber and sprinkle it with some salt. Place it in a sieve and squeeze out its juices by pressing on the cucumber with the back of a spoon. Discard the cucumber water.
- In a bowl mix yoghurt with grated cucumber, garlic, mint, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer to serving bowl
- Serve chicken on a large platter with a bowl of Tzatziki, flat bread, salad and olives.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes....
Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a...
Everyday Salad with Balsamic Dijon Dressing
No table is ever complete without a bowl of fresh green salad dressed in a tasty homemade...
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]