Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
By shahdan • May 16, 2019
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy and extremely flavourful.
This is a clean & healthy meal that is so quick and easy to cook and enjoy at home. Serve it with Tzatziki, flat bread, olives, and a Greek Salad to enjoy a full Greek authentic meal in the comfort of your own home.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus an extra drizzle for the pan) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice - عصير ليمون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 11/2 tablespoon oregano (dry) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- For the Tzatziki - الزبادي بالخيار
- 300 gram yoghurt (preferably Greek yoghurt) - زبادي
- 2 medium cucumber - خيار
- 1 medium garlic clove (grated) - فص ثوم
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint (optional) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Mix all ingredient together and pour over chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Soak wooden skewers (if using any) in water for 30 minutes (to prevent them from burning while cooking).
- Thread the chicken pieces on the skewers.
- Heat a pan/griddle pan. Add a drizzle olive oil and arrange chicken when the pan is very hot to get a nice golden colour on the chicken. Don't rush to turn them, give them a good 4-5 minutes before you start turning them to the other sides. Lower heat to medium half way through if needed.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked through by cutting through one of the thickest pieces to make sure its not pink inside.
- To prepare the Tzatziki, grate the cucumber and sprinkle it with some salt. Place it in a sieve and squeeze out its juices by pressing on the cucumber with the back of a spoon. Discard the cucumber water.
- In a bowl mix yoghurt with grated cucumber, garlic, mint, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer to serving bowl
- Serve chicken on a large platter with a bowl of Tzatziki, flat bread, salad and olives.
Everyday Mushroom Risotto
I used to get scared of risotto until I found my sister cooks it as a last minute dish when she was...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Molasses & Ginger Roasted Salmon
After several years of grilling salmon and watching cooking shows, I perfected my salmon. It is...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]