Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
By shahdan • May 16, 2019
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy and extremely flavourful.
This is a clean & healthy meal that is so quick and easy to cook and enjoy at home. Serve it with Tzatziki, flat bread, olives, and a Greek Salad to enjoy a full Greek authentic meal in the comfort of your own home.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus an extra drizzle for the pan) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice - عصير ليمون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 11/2 tablespoon oregano (dry) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- For the Tzatziki - الزبادي بالخيار
- 300 gram yoghurt (preferably Greek yoghurt) - زبادي
- 2 medium cucumber - خيار
- 1 medium garlic clove (grated) - فص ثوم
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint (optional) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- salt (to taste) - ملح
Step by step
- Mix all ingredient together and pour over chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Soak wooden skewers (if using any) in water for 30 minutes (to prevent them from burning while cooking).
- Thread the chicken pieces on the skewers.
- Heat a pan/griddle pan. Add a drizzle olive oil and arrange chicken when the pan is very hot to get a nice golden colour on the chicken. Don't rush to turn them, give them a good 4-5 minutes before you start turning them to the other sides. Lower heat to medium half way through if needed.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked through by cutting through one of the thickest pieces to make sure its not pink inside.
- To prepare the Tzatziki, grate the cucumber and sprinkle it with some salt. Place it in a sieve and squeeze out its juices by pressing on the cucumber with the back of a spoon. Discard the cucumber water.
- In a bowl mix yoghurt with grated cucumber, garlic, mint, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer to serving bowl
- Serve chicken on a large platter with a bowl of Tzatziki, flat bread, salad and olives.
Feel-Good Artichoke Soup
Loaded with artichokes, peas and carrots, this soup is the ultimate comfort soup. The dill adds a...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and...
Roasted Shrimp Stuffed Avocados
When shrimp and avocados come together, the results are usually luscious, impressive and mostly...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]