Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for myself when I’m on a detox phase. The combination might seem strange to some people, but when I decided to serve it to my family since it’s full of nutrients, they found it delicious! I made some minor changes to the original recipe: I used butter instead of olive oil, some homemade chicken broth instead of water, increased the amount of arugula and added cream occasionally – just to make it creamier and more filling! They all loved it – including my 18 months toddler! The arugula gives it a fresh kick making it optimal as an Iftar soup on these hot Ramadan sunsets.
This recipe was inspired by “IT’S ALL GOOD” recipe book by Gwyneth Paltrow
- ½ kg broccoli (around 1 head) - بروكلى
- 1 bunch arugula (preferably the big leaves) - جرجير
- 1 tablespoon butter (OR olive oil for lower fat) - زبدة
- 1 onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 garlic (minced) - ثوم
- 2 to 3 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water with a pinch of salt) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup water - ماء
Step by step
- In a large soup pot, fry onions in butter for 10 minutes then add the garlic for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli florets then add the chicken broth and hot water. Season with salt and fresh pepper and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the arugula leaves (get rid of stems) and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Use a hand mixer or a blender to smoothen the soup, then spoon in cream (if you want to) after you let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomatoes
The earthy flavour of lentils, the creaminess of goat cheese, and the sweetness of sun-dried...
Bolognese Sauce with Hidden Veggies
A relatively long list of ingredients, but it guarantees one wholesome meal for your family. It is...
Baked Salmon with Fresh Herbs
In the kitchen, I'm a fan of rich flavor, but more important than that - an easy recipe, like this...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]