Garlic & Herb Roasted Potatoes
By shahdan • September 29, 2016
The Garlic & Herb Roasted Potato dish makes a very delicious side to almost any of your favourite proteins like fish, chicken, meat, or turkey. When I find baby potatoes, I cut them in half, toss them with olive oil and herbs, and roast them until they’re nice and soft. Since these are not easily found in Egypt, I simmer regular potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes first to reduce their roasting time.
- 4 medium potatoes - بطاطس
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 sprig rosemary (leafs handtorn) - روزماري/ إكليل الجبل
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Boil water in the kettle. Wash the potatoes very well and leave them whole and unpeeled.
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with boiling water and let them simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Discard boiling water and wash potatoes with fresh water. (They should still be uncooked and quite firm). Slice them (without peeling) into bite-size cubes then place them in a baking dish.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, then add garlic, oregano, rosemary (without stem), salt and pepper. Carefully give the potatoes a quick toss and place them in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until soft and golden. For best results, make sure you don't overcrowd the baking dish and give them a stir every 15 minutes.
Egyptian Eggplant & Cheese Platter
Recipe in Arabic طبق الباذنجان الرومي المصري بالجبن This platter is...
Salmon with Cold Fresh Oriental Salsa
Inspired by the traditional fattoush, this out-of-the-box salmon dish is fresh, lemony and full of...
Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
I can't imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.